Thursday, February 05, 2009

Two weeks to take-off

Michael drove today. He wasn’t just in driving class; he was on the road behind the wheel. He drove. Oh. My. Goodness.

I was not worried or scared about him driving. I was thrilled for him – it is a dream come true for my boy. I was a little worried and scared by the other boy in the car driving with Michael. The waist of that boy’s pants was at his knees; if he doesn’t have the good sense to wear a belt how could I be sure he’d stop at the red light? But I dropped Michael off and watched the two of them and the driving instructor drive off in a little red Ford. Michael was so relieved the first time he drove that he wouldn’t be in a foreign car. “A Ford was bad enough,” he said.

Amy and I had some shopping to do this evening so we swung by to pick him up after class. He was still excited but the thrill was tempered a bit; driving was harder than he thought it would be. “I couldn’t look at the other cars. There was so much to think about.” Music to a mom’s ears for sure.

I don’t know what came over my normally law-abiding self, but when we turned onto our street I stopped the car and said, “Drive us the rest of the way home.” Amy nearly had a heart attack and began to protest loudly until something in her snapped – I think she realized what a big deal this was for him. In a moment of uncharacteristic sisterly kindness she zipped her lips, got in the backseat and rode the ten seconds up our street in silence. He did a great job, even pulled the big ol’ Tahoe into the driveway right next to Sean’s truck. I don’t think I’ll forget the smile on his face for a long time.

So our first week of driving school has gone well. Two more to go, then Michael will be driving me everywhere. And I think I’m ready. If I say that enough it will be true, right?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:23 PM

    Just think of Michael's driving as having your own personal chauffeur :)
    I'm excited for him....and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe when I'm 70 I'll be ready to drive places with my son.

    Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:29 AM

    I am loving every moment picturing you moving from the coveted driver's seat and Michael climbing in ...with Amy's endorsement!!!!
    Super moment for all!!! What a MOM!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!