Monday, April 13, 2009

Kati, where are you?

Several years ago I was flying from Atlanta to Lansing and I struck up a conversation with the young lady sitting next to me. Turns out she was from Germany and was flying to Lansing to study for a semester at Michigan State. We chatted for a while (her English was impeccable). As we were landing she asked me about the bus system around the college; I had to say I knew nothing about it, but knew lots of the students used bikes to get around. She said she couldn’t exactly bring hers from Germany, so she would have to try to find one for the semester.

Knowing she’d think me crazy, but feeling prompted to offer, I gave her my phone number and said we had an extra bike she was welcomed to use. She hesitated to take the piece of paper with my contact info, but eventually did and I figured I would never hear from her again.

A few days later she called, asked if I had been serious and if so, would love to borrow our bike. I was thrilled! Sean helped me get it all cleaned up, then we delivered it to her. She was beyond thankful.

During her semester here we talked on the phone occasionally, Rebecca, Amy and I took her to dinner and at the end of her time in the States she invited our whole family to her going-away party. What started as a crazy conversation at 30,000 feet ended in friendship that, thanks to technology, has continued via email.

Until now. My emails to her keep getting bounced back and I’m afraid she’ll think I haven’t tried to reply to her latest note. She mentioned she occasionally visits my little corner of the internet; I figured this was as good a shot as any to say, “Hi, Kati! My emails aren’t getting through! And Rebecca says hi.”

Wish I knew how to say that in German…

8 comments:

  1. 2GAboys8:45 AM

    Lemme give this a shot, but realize it's been a *long time* since I've practiced my German!
    "Tag, Kati! My e-mails aren't getting though (auf englisch). :-) Und 'Tag!' sagt Rebecca also dann."

    Dunno if that's even 80% accurate, but I gave it my best deutsche try.

    /tain

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2GAboys8:45 AM

    Ummm. . .and then can't even type my own name! T-I-N-A. . . . Is it still Monday??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tina - very nice! Thanks for the help. And if it's any consolation, it feels like Monday up here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chef Cookaloni8:05 PM

    Ich bin hungrig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chef, you are weird.

    (I tried to get that translated into German using a nifty on-line translator but it didn't know "weird" so I'm just using good ol' English.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:22 AM

    Oh my gosh, I actually get my own blog post?! I´m still here, reading your blog whenever I can. I´m still beyond thankful for that bike - it really made MSU so much smaller and more manageable for me. Plus: I found really good friends :o).
    All the best from all the way over here to you, Sean, and the kids,
    Kati

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Thanks for getting in touch with me, Kati!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2GAboys8:12 AM

    You know, not only did Kati find you, but she's wonderful enough not to comment on my lousy German. I'd say she's a keeper!

    /tina

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!