Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Let's start at the very beginning

We have not had great success with movie rentals. Actually, I have had success; Sean, not so much. He has a hard time picking out good movies - he goes in with the best of intentions but inevitably leaves with a dud. I think the biggest problem is he believes the reviews on the movie jacket; big mistake.

Several times we’ve stopped his movies early and I remember completely sleeping through one. Then there was the time he rented Jack and the Beanstalk – sounds innocuous, especially since it was produced by Jim Henson and all his Muppet people. But this thing was a TV miniseries and lasted 4 hours, a little fact we didn’t know when we told the kids we’d watch a movie beginning at 7 on a Saturday night. By the time 10 o’clock rolled around we were convinced the thing would NEVER END but were too involved to turn it off and struggled through the last 60 minutes, only to realize Henson dramatically altered the story to make Jack the bad guy and the giant good. Try explaining that to an over-tired 8 year old at 11 pm.

So Sean’s Blockbuster card was revoked and the kids and I pick the movies now. But since we joined Netflix Sean occasionally offers suggestions. One he wanted Michael and Amy to see is Amadeus, so I ordered it last week. On Saturday, Sean, Michael, Amy and I settled in and started the movie. It was weird; there were no credits at the beginning and no title… I let it go for a bit, but the story seemed to jump in right in the middle of Mozart’s life with no back story. As a matter of fact, Sean had to stop the film a number of times to fill the kids in on a few crucial elements of the story, like why the scary guy in the painting haunted Mozart (it was his overbearing, disapproving father). I finally couldn’t take it anymore and said, “Honey, could you humor me and check the main menu? This just isn’t like I remember it.” Of course, the film came out 25 years ago. Goodness knows lots of vital information has slipped through the cracks of my brain in 25 years so I wasn’t surprised I didn’t remember the movie precisely. But something just seemed, well, off.

He went back, saw we’d started at Scene 1. So we resumed the movie.

Then 45 minutes in, Mozart’s dead, credits roll, the end. The movie was supposed to last 2 ½ hours.

I started looking around for the Netflix envelope – surely there had to be another disc in there. And then it dawned on me: “Sean, why don’t you turn over the disc that’s in the player. Is there anything on the other side?”

Needless to say we watched the first of the movie the next day. And sweet Amy summed it up: “It made a lot more sense watching the first part first.”

So now, not only have Sean’s movie rental privileges been suspended indefinitely, so has his privilege to run the DVD player. Good thing Michael and Amy are around; I’m not sure I’d have any more success than Sean with the electronic portion of our movie evenings.

_______________________________

Next on our Netflix movie queue: Atonement. Any suggestions for other good movies? We could use some advice!

9 comments:

  1. chuckle, chuckle

    We have the same problem. We did develop some basic guidelines though. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING with certain actors: either of the Arquette sisters, Johnny Deb or Jim Carey.

    Nothing in the horror or sci fi genres.

    And the list goes on.

    We still managed to pick some doozies right up until we left the U.S.

    Haven't rented a movie here yet. I wouldn't know if it was good or not, so Ivan could totally pretend it was the greatest movie ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2GAboys8:25 AM

    Haven't seen Atonement, so I can't say. But we loved Enchanted as a date movie; probably not family fare.

    But surely you know about Plugged In from Focus on the Family? Reviews just about every movie, book and video game known to man for language, violence and s*xual content.

    I'll also take a look at our Netflix queue and let you know -- we've got several hundred movies, but I'll see what I can find. Mostly we choose anything involving Carey Grant (I love those!) or Disney kids' stuff.

    But in Sean's defense, I had no idea you could put a DVD in upside down! How bizarre is that?

    /tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Netfilx as well! Atonement was a classic award winning movie, kind of good but really strange (and some 'naughty' scenes). Not sure I would fully recommend it! Brad is a really good movie picker, he seems to find those hidden gems! Me, I just like the romantic comedies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chef Cookaloni8:24 PM

    Why the new font size?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina - I love Plugged In online and use it regularly, but sometimes their reviews are even more conservative than mine would be. And the only reason I knew about a double-sided disk is because one of Michael's movies was like that. Definitely Sean was off the hook - the writing was so tiny I don't know how anyone could read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chef - the new font size is an indication that I have had serious, major, lots of trouble with Blogger's code. Since I don't know any code language I'm at Blogger's mercy. Sometimes it shows up 12 pt. Times, sometimes 10 pt. Arial, sometimes what ever this is. Amy is currently enrolled in an HTML class and her first assignment is to teach me what the heck is going on with this stupid site. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

    Oh, and thanks for the stimulating comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. The Gold Rush
    2. A Night at the Opera
    3. Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Volume 1
    4. The Tick vs. Season 1
    5. Star Trek: The Next Generation, Seasons 3&4 (watch the last episode of season 3 and the first of season 4)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave - you are not allowed to suggest movies anymore. (Of course, Michael and Sean loved suggestions 3,4,5!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alicia9:10 PM

    may I suggest looking in a different part of the alphabet!!! :D j/k Anyway, we just watched Bedtime Stories with Adam Sandler. Aside from a time when he called another character Sir Buttkiss, it was a charming and funny movie!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!