Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How hard can this be?

I am a decent cook but not a chef by any stretch of the imagination. I can boil water and follow a recipe but I cannot improvise. I don’t know what herbs would taste good with what protein and I certainly can’t just whip something together with the tomato sauce, bread crumbs and fruit cocktail that are currently in my cupboard. (That’d be a pretty nifty challenge for Top Chef – fix something using only the random items in Christy’s pantry!)

But spaghetti I can do. Or at least I think I can until I’m serving it on everyone’s plates. Then I remember I can’t do that, either. I mean, yes, I can boil the noodles and I can brown the meat and I heat up a jar of spaghetti sauce. But what I can’t do is make the sauce not runny on the plate. See exhibit A:


I made spaghetti Tuesday night. When we sat down for dinner and again I saw a runny mess of sauce on everyone’s plate I exclaimed, “Dadgum it! I have been making spaghetti for 16 years. Why the heck can’t I make it so the sauce isn’t runny?!” It would have been okay if only my family had been there but Amy had a friend over… self-editing is a skill I really should learn.

Why does this happen? This runny-ness never happens when we eat at Italian restaurants. Why can’t I figure this out? And does this happen to everyone’s spaghetti at home?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

15 comments:

  1. Hey Christy - we've had this problem before in our house...I think the key is to really drain the pasta well, until it's dry. If the pasta's not sufficiently drained, the excess water will mix with the sauce and create the aforementioned runny mess. Also, some of your less robust sauces can cause this as well. Finally, it helps to cook in these: http://tedkluck.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/Article/Index/article/The-TED-WINS-Performance-Hi-Top-4534778

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you've poured the pasta and cooking water into the colander, place the colander back over the now empty (but still hot) cooking pot. Leaving it to drain there will allow you time to let it dry off a bit more but still remain hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chef Cookaloni12:04 PM

    Try boiling the pasta in less water... that way it won't get as wet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ted - first of all, in the words of Wayne and Garth, I'm not worthy. But thanks for stopping by. I've tasted your wife's food; there's no way this has ever been a problem in your house. Do you have a Ted Wins. apron?

    Catherine and Chef - Thanks for the comments. I've done both those things, thus my perplexed state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I add a small can of italian tomato paste to my spag sauce and that seems to help. I am right there with you, I can cook according to a recipe but in NO way can I improvise and can never produce a meal from random things in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made spaghetti last night... paranoid about my noodles. FOund one way to avoid the runs: Cook them too long while forgetting to stir them, then drain the stuck together noodles too long. I'm pretty sure sticky isn't any better!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:43 AM

    We use Barilla sauce, and I don't think we have a runny problem. . .unless I just can't remember. But yeah -- we put the pasta back in the pan and on the warm burner, too.
    /tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:40 AM

    I drain the pasta and leave it in the colander and I stir the sauce right before I place it over the pasta. We use pasta bowls instead of plates so if there is any runny I don't see it because it's at the bottom of the bowl. Your Uncle Richard makes the sauce from scratch so maybe I'm spoiled and I never really have to deal with the watery stuff. Corby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan - I'll have to try a can of tomato paste. Sounds like that might work!

    Jill - sorry about the sticky noodles... I usually forget to stir the noodles when I'm checking email.

    Tina - I love Barilla; that's a yummy sauce!

    Thanks for the great tips everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CORBY!!! I'm so happy to see you in my little comment section! And I can't believe Uncle Richard makes the sauce. Mom's here right now and she's telling me his sauce is really good. Does he use a recipe or is it all in his head? If it's written down anywhere I'd love a copy.

    And I like your bowls idea.

    Love you and miss you so much,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda9:54 PM

    I make my sauce from scratch and don't have that problem unless my noodles are too wet. Tomato paste does thicken the sauce; sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. And I do use a bowl. And we put lots of fresh grated cheese and toasted bread crumbs on top and that absorbs the sauce a bit. And of course if there happens to be any sauce left on the bottom, runny or not, we mop it up with a piece of bread :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Umm, is this really a big problem? Hey Christy, let's get you guys over for a spaghetti dinner. I have no idea if mine is runny or not...I just love spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete
  13. By the way, that picture looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:34 PM

    Someone told me to let the lid off while simmering the sauce about an hour or so before serving so the water evaporatesm - I tried it and it really helped. I actually poured the sauce in a deep fry pan and let it evaporate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous - thanks for the tip! I'll try that next time.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!