Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Someone else knows

Tuesdays are good days for me; the kids have piano lessons – 30 minutes each, which means I have 90 minutes to myself. It’s the most uninterrupted time of my week. I run errands or just sit in the car and read. In silence. Blissful silence.

A few Tuesdays ago I was catching up on some magazines as I waited and picked up my copy of Good Housekeeping. Yes, I admit it; I read Good Housekeeping. No, it has not made me a better housekeeper. Pretty sure it would take more than a magazine to get this girl to cook gourmet meals or design my living room with beautiful décor for under $25 or even dust, but I enjoy thinking that I could do that. Then I realize someone out there is doing all that. I then make fun of that person for cleaning instead of having a life which means perhaps the magazine is not helping with my sanctification…

Anyway I was flipping through and the title of an essay caught my eye: "On Dogwoods and Daughters.” Here’s the first paragraph:
I don’t know which is stranger: that my azaleas bloom in June or that the soil anchoring their shallow roots is black, rich, and humusy. Having spent my childhood years in Atlanta where flowering begins in March and the earth is red and rusty, I still find these small details jarring. Even after twenty five springs north of the Mason Dixon line I am still not accustomed to this. Transplanting is funny business.

I was hooked. Reading further I found out the author was also transplanted from Atlanta to Michigan. And she, like I, is sad her children don’t know her roots:

I occasionally hear my kids slip in a “y’all” when calling out to their friends, but more often it’s “you guys.” Their A’s are flat as Redwing hockey ice. When they were toddlers, they’d say, “Daddy, help me with my pajamas.” and I would cringe. “Daddy” squeezed from their vocal cords as “Deeaddy”. Ditto “p’jeeamas.” My children sometimes sound like strangers to me. Where are their drawls? I taught them to speak, but their ears have found other accents to mime.

…It’s hard this passing on the sense of place. We can do the big stuff. Religion. Ethics. And I suppose that’s more important. But it’s the little things that make us who we are. That root us in place.”

Tears were streaming down my face at this point. I am not alone!

When I got home from piano lessons I emailed the author, Debra Darvick. I told her she’d written my story, that she wasn’t alone, that another Georgia girl was here, too. She wrote back the next day, thanking me for writing. She told me she still lives in Michigan, that her husband also works for GM and that she’d had a lot of response to the column. Apparently there are a lot of “transplanted sisters” here in Michigan.

How is this possible? Are we all in hiding? I felt like starting a group on Facebook: "If you’re from the South but live in Michigan now let’s have some sweet tea and chat!" I still might…

For now, though, knowing there’s at least one fellow transplant out there is helpful. That I’m not the only one longing for my children to know my Southern roots, to love sweet tea and grits and Waffle House. That someone else also wants her children to adore dogwoods and azaleas, Scarlett and Rhett and all things Gone With the Wind. That there’s another transplant who still loves Georgia even after being gone for 25 years. That we both, while loving our lives in our new towns, still consider Atlanta home.

I am not alone. And knowing that is enough.

_________________________
Read her whole article here.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful article. Even though I've spent way more years away than "home" I called my blog Just A Southern Girl because that is how I view myself. I'm just a little farther south now :-)

    As Wally says, the tea's not sweet enough unless it hurts your teeth :-) I miss good sweet tea but Tina does me proud, drinking enough for both of us. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and really sweet article. I'm a Jersey girl transplanted to Idaho, so I know how you feel, Christy. Maybe you should start that Facebook group after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:54 AM

    ooohh sweet tea and waffle house - love them both!!! Grits - well not so much!
    :)
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dear one, that article made me think of you SO much! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:17 PM

    I'm SUCH a wanna-be! If God were cabable of mistakes (Which he's not...), his biggest would be that I was supposed to be a Southern girl. I love all those things! I even want to prounounce my daughter's name Liiiiiiiza, with that slow, drawn out southern twang, the way it should be! Oh well - if it makes you feel any better, at least you're the REAL DEAL! ♥ MG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe it or not, I understand... it's the exact same way when we Jersey girls meet each other down here in Atlanta. We can bond about the shore, taylor ham, good bread & deli, jughandles, the Parkway, and the malls. I"ve been here for 17 years and I love my life here, but nothing beats taylor ham & cheese on a hard roll down the shore for breakfast! It seems like the author hit on every transplant's feelings... doesn't matter where you come from, certain things about "home" stick with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Say, wasn't it you who had the huge, beautiful hydrangea at your house? I'm looking for some tips b/c I can't get my piddly little one to bloom and this is our 3rd summer here. . . . It's growing great, thanks to plentiful rains lately, but still no blooms. Do I need to fertilize it?

    Naked in Duluth,
    /tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tina,

    I'd love to tell you the trick to that beautiful bush but I didn't do anything other than water and fertilize it. I do miss it. Rebecca and my Mom just planted one in our backyard up here - hope it grows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Christy and the rest of you above...
    Thank you for all your beautiful comments.
    Maybe we should call ourselves TGRITS for transplanted girls raised in the south.
    Raising a glass of sweet tea to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debra,

    What an honor to have you comment here. Thank you so much!

    And I like TGRITS! Great thought!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!