Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Total kid count: 2

After a whirlwind time in the South Amy flew back to us yesterday afternoon. Michael and I were there to greet her and hear all her tales of wonder from the big city.

She started out her trip with Sean’s parents and Sean’s Aunt Suzie from Arizona. The four of them went to Savannah where they took the Paula Deen tour. They ate at one of her restaurants, Uncle Bubba’s Oyster House where Amy tried an oyster at Grandpa’s urging. Made me think of the time my grandfather made my sister eat an oyster; she threw up all over the parking lot after dinner. Thankfully Amy kept hers down, but I don’t think she’ll be ordering oysters again any time soon.

Grandma and Grandpa made the switch with my parents on Saturday. Amy got to see some friends at church, then Nanny and Pops took Amy to the top of the Peachtree Plaza for a surprise early birthday dinner. Grandpa and Aunt Suzie also joined them on the 73rd floor; the restaurant sits atop the Westin Hotel and rotates so you get a view of the entire city during the meal. She couldn’t have asked for a better pre-13th birthday celebration!

I got the tearful call Tuesday afternoon from my mom, letting me know Amy was on the plane headed my way. My kids have flown often and I don’t worry about them on the plane. But I do pray like mad for the two hours the kids are in the custody of the flight crew: God, please give the crew wisdom. Please let the pilots be awake and alert. Please keep that plane in the air. Please bring her home to me safely.

As we watched the jet touch down on the runway I burst into tears. I was thankful my prayers had been answered the way I wanted them to be. At times like that I feel like I should be able to come up with a more eloquent prayer than, “Oh, God, thank you!” but that’s all I had. Of course, Michael looked at me like I’d grown an extra head but he kindly patted by arm and said, “It’s okay, Mom.”

We made it through the entire evening with no real Grandma Detox issues. I imagine they are coming…

We’ll be back to a family of five tomorrow night when I retrieve Rebecca. It will be good to be all together again.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure I would be more of a wreck than you but I am laughing because I can totally see Michael patting you on the arm saying that!!
    Glad she had a great time and is back home safe and sound.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!