Monday, September 21, 2009

Just a few years ago

Saturday was our 17th wedding anniversary. We’re pretty pumped because we’re able to count more good years than bad! Years 1– 5 were good, mainly because we were young, stupid and too tired to argue thanks to having two babies while Sean finished grad school. Years 6 – 12 were bad. Way, way, bad. Got older but not wiser, love got harder and we were still tired from babies one and two; baby three added to the sleep deprivation. Years 13 – 17 saw improvements. Got more sleep thanks to the kids getting more sleep. We got older and thankfully a wee bit wiser.

Our wedding was spectacular. We get comments all the time from folks who had a blast that night. The ceremony was full of magnificent music and excellent words. The reception was full of good food, great music and visiting with wonderful friends and family. It was a remarkable night.

As I think back on it one of my favorite memories is talking with a table full of friends from college. I wanted to pull up a chair and stay with them for the evening but I had to make the rounds. I don’t have many regrets about that day but not spending more time with my college friends who drove a really, really long way to see me get hitched is one of them.

Music was a huge part of the day. The music for the ceremony was a perfect blend of our tastes. My elementary school piano teacher played a medley of Amy Grant songs, Sean’s church organist played nearly 30 minutes before the actual ceremony began, and the best music minister ever directed a flautist, French horn player, pianist, vocalists and guitarist to make some of the sweetest music I’d ever heard. Bonus – all musicians were our good friends from church.

The music at the reception was flat-out fun. I had a very specific list of songs for the DJ, including The Pina Colada song which Sean and I loved. Apparently we didn’t listen to the words very closely. It’s not exactly the best song to play at a wedding but we liked it and danced to it and ignored the part about the husband getting tired of his lady who had already placed a personal ad for a secret rendezvous with someone not her husband.

I question the inclusion of Def Leppard’s Pour Some Sugar on Me as well.

Our first dance was to Harry Connick Jr.’s Recipe for Making Love, chosen solely for its time: 2:38. Sean didn’t want to dance any longer than he had to. It was a good decision. The man can play piano like a pro but cannot make his feet move to the beat.

That night I would not have believed anyone who told me marriage would be a struggle. We were in love and I thought that feeling would never end. (Did I mention I was young? And stupid?) Seventeen years later I know good marriages don’t just happen; they’re fought for, sometimes daily, sometimes hourly. But the fight is good, the struggle sanctifying.

And the making up is pretty darn sweet, too.

Happy anniversary to us!

9 comments:

  1. Here's to you both, and your 17 well-earned years! May you have many, many more, and may they continue to bring you sanctification. . . and sleep.

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you! Hope it was a great day. And, secondly, you're right! Marriage is work, but it gets sweeter with every passing year. I love you guys...I love that you laugh together...a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm toasting my orange juice to you this morning-- for acknowledging the struggle-- and to the being, at 17, older and wiser and happier than at 1.

    Robby and I always think of our marriage as the year it is-- so, for you-- you have a 17 year old. It can drive... It's worrying about what the next step is-- more education?-- and it's seasoning into an adult.

    Remember-- you can ground it if it gets sassy or out of hand... :)

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy, I so appreciate your honesty! So many Christian women make it sound like their marriages are perfectly happy at all times -- as though their Christian witness is somehow diminished if they don't have perfect lives here on this fallen planet that we call home. Makes me want to barf. No human relationship can be perfect.

    Anyway, thank you for having the courage to put it out there! You make me laugh as I nod my head in agreement at the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are simply the best -- and way better than I deserve. 18's going to be great.

    Love always,


    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary! Sometimes hard times make me value my own marriage more!

    Really good post but ....no wedding picture?? C'mon, just one??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the happy anniversary wishes.

    Tina - thanks! We miss you and Little Brother and Taco (and Jay, of course!).

    Irene - we wouldn't make it without laughter. I'm excited you'll get to see that side of Sean weekly now.

    Terri - I love the idea of thinking of our marriage as the number of years old it is (and the thought of grounding it when it gets sassy!).

    Catherine - no one who's married would believe anyone saying it's easy - no point lying! My witness would be diminished if I said anything but the truth. Thanks for the encouragement.

    Sean - I'll thank you later...

    NftP - you asked for it: http://tinyurl.com/n5m922 (The link is in the last sentence of the post, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WONderful! Yall look so happy...and young! 8~)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:38 PM

    Thank you for your continued transparency. Happy Anniversary to both of you.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!