Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Be careful what you pray for ...

Atlanta's experienced drought conditions for several years now. Two Novembers ago Georgia’s governor, Sonny Perdue invited people to pray for rain.

Pretty sure he’s stopped by now.*

After receiving several days of heavy downpours Atlanta is one big puddle. I’ve heard from several friends with flooded basements. Thankfully that’s all that was flooded for my peeps on the northeast side of the city; Georgians west of Atlanta haven’t fared as well.


Homes in Carrolton, west of Atlanta


Six Flag's Scream Machine partially underwater. (By the way, that pavilion is where I saw Amy Grant in June, 1983. Just in case you wanted to know.)


A Chevy Avalanche underwater. Michael was not pleased by this picture.


A flooded Toyota Prius. Michael wasn't too upset by this one. Of course, he's sorry for the owner but hopes this will give the guy a chance to buy a real car.


As bad as Atlanta’s traffic is normally I can’t even imagine what it was like when the highway flooded. The intersection of 285 and 85, lovingly termed Spaghetti Junction, was overcome by water, leaving motorists stranded for miles. The pictures are simply astonishing.




The one good bit of news to come from the flood conditions: Lake Lanier is almost full. It will be nice to drive by it and not see red Georgia clay where water should be.

News of the rain is very good news for Rebecca who joined Governor Purdue and prayed regularly for the drought to end. She was very concerned that Nanny and Grandma couldn’t water their flowers or grass.

She doesn’t have to worry about that any more.


________________________________
*Thanks to Tina for a great FB post that prompted me to write about this!

5 comments:

  1. Down here in Newnan, we had NO idea. We were just happy to have football and soccer canceled so we could have a night at home :) My parents in Stone Mountain had a landslide near them, they told me it took out a bank. I don't even remember anything like this in Atlanta. When it rains, it pours. Oh and BTW, McDonalds diet cokes are still $1.00 here. My kids laugh because everytime we go through to get mom a DC, I laugh and say :Why, Ronald, Why?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy R8:39 AM

    I got to take my boat to work! I always thought Georgians were WIMPS when they would close schools and the forcast of snow. This week Atlantans rallied and showed me how southern hospitality really counts when your stuck away from home and you're served a warm meal and provided a dry bed. Y'all come back now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwww... that's insane!

    HAHA Michael and his cars! :)

    OOHH Amy Grant... I've seen her multiple times :) [Mom's a fan]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise - glad y'all weren't affected by the water. And drink a $1 DC for me!

    Randy - are you serious? You really took the boat? You're the man!

    Stephanie - Michael does have very intense feelings about cars! Of course, since you've spent more than five minutes with him you know this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo-hoo, I made the blog! :-)

    Dry in Duluth

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!