Monday, September 28, 2009

Parental involvement would have been nice

Sean has pipe organ lessons every other Saturday at a local Episcopal church where his teacher is the organist. Sometimes the kids go with him; the church elders are usually there getting the sanctuary ready for Sunday services which fascinates Rebecca. She’s become good friends with one of the elders who lets her put the cup and plate and water and communion things out. She’s intrigued by how different the stuff needed for an Episcopal service is from ours.

(The one Sunday we visited because Sean was filling in for his organ teacher Rebecca gasped out loud during Communion because everyone drank from the same cup. “I am never becoming Episcopalian!” she declared.)

This Saturday Michael and Rebecca accompanied Sean. The church was having a rummage sale, so while Sean attended to his lesson Rebecca and Michael perused the items up for sale. Of all the things available, Michael came home with this treasure:


I could not believe it. The boy who cannot part with a dollar spent one on this. And he thinks it adorable.

What was Sean thinking? "He bought it while I was having my lesson! I didn't know!" he claimed.

I made it very clear that donkey was to stay in his room. Always. Forever. Amen.

Of course, Saturday evening the donkey (whose name is now Don Key) was still in the family room. When I walked by and glanced in I scared myself to death – I wasn’t sure what it was but I knew it wasn’t supposed to be there.

It is now in his room. Where it will stay.

Or else Don Key gets it.

4 comments:

  1. Careful what you say or old Don might end up on your light fixture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave clearly knows your light fixture history!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing I thought when I saw the donkey was, "Wonder how long till it's in the light..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was my first thought too! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!