Thursday, December 03, 2009

Don't use the "S" word!

I heard the weatherman use the “S” word yesterday. He was forecasting snow for today and Friday and, I suppose, the next five months. Which is unfortunate because I do not enjoy snow. Not on Thursday or Friday or every other Tuesday; I do not like snow. And for the last four winters I’ve been in denial, thinking it wouldn’t come or, when it did, it wouldn’t last.

Here are a few of the conversations I’ve been having with myself over the past several years:

“Oh, winter can’t last too long.” Yes, it can and it does. Snow in April? Check.

“It can’t be that cold.” Um, yes it is. For a pickin’ long time (see above).

“I don’t want to spend all that money on warm clothes. Surely the fleece that I wore as a winter coat in Atlanta will suffice.” You mean that fleece that you now wear around the house from October through May? No, it won’t do. Open that pocketbook and spill some coin on warm clothes.

Not sure how it happened, but something in my brain clicked last week; I realized we’re heading into our fifth Michigan winter and will experience a sixth and seventh and eighth, since we are, apparently, staying in Michigan indefinitely. And since that is the case, I have to buy some warm clothes.

Lest you deem me an unfit mother, please know I bought warm things for the children. They have snow pants and jackets and sweatshirts and sweaters and boots. My denial wasn’t going to keep them warm. And, quite honestly, it wasn’t keeping me very warm either. So I ordered another sweater (when we moved here I owned two – I’m now up to six, but one is sleeveless so it probably doesn’t count) and a pair of boots. I have a pair of ankle boots but I’m tired of cussing each time snow gets in them – if enough snow falls that it could potentially get in the new boots I’ll just stay home.

The real struggle I have with dressing for Michigan’s weather is I don’t like to layer long sleeves over long sleeves. I’ve always worn sweaters or jackets over short sleeve shirts because there’s no bunchy factor. The thought of having a long sleeve shirt under a sweater under a coat give me the shakes – it’s just too much. However, after being cold for the last four winters I’ve realized I have to attempt to change my attitude about layering. So yesterday I wore a zip-up sweater over a long-sleeve oxford. I had to fight the urge to shiver and shake and pull on the shirt sleeves in an effort to feel “unbunched,” (please tell me you know what I’m talking about) but all day I wore them. And, surprise, surprise, I was toasty and, for the most part, comfy.

Such personal growth...

I feel like this winter I may, actually, stay warm. Well, inside the house, anyway.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you are cracking me up! It was like 47 degrees yesterday!! I hope you were warm!! I had a t-shirt under a sweater with 3/4 length sleeves and I was so hot I could barely stand it. And a little tip about layering...make sure the shirt you layer over is tighter than the sweater, that makes for a lot less bunchiness. I know what you mean and the thought of wearing an oxford shirt under a sweater..I don't think I could do it. Although, you are much more stylish than me. I am glad you got boots though, that IS a necessity!!
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traci - oh, 47 degrees - a veritable heat wave! I was trying to avoid wearing a jacket at all - and I succeeded. :-) I like your layering tip - will definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it help to know that your abhorence of snow is matched by Robby's fear of kudzu?

    One of these days (I hope) you'll wake up and find the snow magical. It makes everything clean and fresh and bright and lovely. It's the harbinger of sledding and snowmen and mittens! Hoorah for Mittens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live all winter -- inside my house, that is -- in a wool sweater that I bought on sale 25 years ago. I layer it over long sleeve t-shirts (which don't bunch up, by the way). Couldn't get through without the sweater, even with the stove on.

    Outside -- a down parka, a hat and industrial strength mittens.

    It's 12 degrees here, by the way. Want to come visit? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Terri, I don't know... It's so pretty right after it falls, but then it's all grey and black and gross. (And did I tell you I broke my tailbone sledding our first winter here?) Someone chided me for not being grateful for whatever weather the Lord brings. I'm going to have to sit with that for a bit.

    Catherine - perspective is everything, isn't it? My 37 degrees *is* a heat wave next to your 12. Stay inside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's the layering tip you need: after you put on your long-sleeved whatever, HOLD ONTO THE CUFFS when you put your hands inside the sleeves of the 2nd long-sleeved whatever. This keeps 'em where they need to be and generally looks nice sticking out just a bit from the cuffs of the top layer. Another good option besides long-sleeved Ts is a thermal shirt -- those waffle-weave things. Happy layering!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!