Monday, January 11, 2010

That snow blower pill works!

My friend Terri, a life-long Michigan resident and self-professed snow lover, recently chided me for not enjoying the snow. It’s not that I simply didn’t like playing in the snow; I couldn’t say I thought it was beautiful, either. I had a good reason: when I saw snow falling I didn’t think, “Oh, diamonds in the sky,” or, “Isn’t it gorgeous when it sparkles in the light?” No, all I could think was, “Dang, now I have to shovel the driveway.” And that, my friends, is not what I consider a good time.

For the past four years I’ve told Sean we needed a snow blower. “We have a snow blower – his name’s Michael,” would be Sean’s answer.

What Sean failed to understand was the immense guilt I felt when Michael was shoveling in freezing weather and I was inside my toasty warm house. Which meant I’d go out to help in order to shorten the amount of time Michael was out there. Should I have felt that way? Probably not. Whether it was rational or not, I couldn’t just be inside while he froze his fingers shoveling.

Something else Sean didn’t understand is shoveling is not a quick chore. It takes us at least an hour to shovel the drive and sidewalks. That was an hour not spent on school, an hour out of my life I’d never get back. If I’m going to waste an hour I’d certainly pick something more exciting (and certainly much warmer) than shoveling the driveway.

So last Thursday when I heard four to six inches were expected, I knew what I had to do. I went to Lowe’s and bought a snow blower. The two salesmen thought Amy and I were wholly incapable of running the machine. I simply said, “Show me how it works.” They did, I paid for it, they loaded it into the back of my Tahoe and I drove it home.

I got home and told Michael and Sean they needed to unload something from my car. When Michael opened the hatch I heard him holler, “Yes!” I couldn’t help but smile.

And as I watched the snow fall all night Thursday I realized I wasn’t filled with dread. I now had a snow blower with an electric start that would clear my driveway of the white stuff in record time. All of a sudden the reflection of the snow in the street light wasn’t ugly. It was beautiful.

I know Terri will be pleased.

7 comments:

  1. I sooo want to see Michael enjoying the snow blower, but there's a technical glitch with playing it on your blog. the message says, "This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina - thanks for the head's up. I think I fixed it. Let me know if not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm for anything that furthers along your relationship with my friend, Snow.

    Enjoy! (And tell Michael you can blow a nice ridge that creates a really good fort base... which, with some of that saved time, can become a worthy break from schoolwork. Use the snow forts as the basis for a nice lesson on early warfare. And then commence with the hurling of the snow.)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you guys; that is SO exciting!!

    Maybe you could persuade my parents to get one sometime too. =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chef Cookaloni7:46 PM

    Looks like the drug dealer across the street already had one... why not borrow his?

    ReplyDelete
  6. GOOD investment! And ROFL at the chef's comment. Your readers never forget anything. 8~)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terri - I thought you'd be pleased! Maybe we should name the snow blower Terri instead of Big Red...

    Christine - I'll see what I can do!

    Chef (and everyone else, especially my Mom) - the drug dealer is still in police custody. The guy in the video is the new homeowner. Has a wife and four kids. Not sure it's a drug cover, but who knows anymore?

    NftP - I agree, a very good investment in my mental health!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!