Thursday, February 11, 2010

Not the kind of crown I'd like

I’m writing this early Thursday morning because I cannot sleep. I cannot sleep because I cannot stand the thought of what I have to do at 8 this morning: I have the first of two visits with the dentist for my first crown.

I am a dentist weenie. I hate going to the dentist, probably because I don’t floss regularly. In addition to the verbal beating I take from the hygienist over my lack of flossing, my gums bleed like crazy because of my lack of flossing. One would think I’d floss to avoid both – I am amazed I don’t just do it. But my teeth have always been so good! Well, until this little crown issue developed.

I know this procedure requires a shot. I watched the dentist give Rebecca a shot when she had to have a tooth pulled so I know his trick: he wiggles your lip to distract you from the honking long needle he’s sticking in your gum. I’m scared to death the minute he goes for my lip I’ll burst into tears.

Writing about it was supposed to help calm me down. Yeah, that’s not working so well.

The Donut Man sings the verse, "God has not given you a spirit of fear but a spirit of love and a sound mind," is running through my head. I'm grateful for that. Who knew the hours and hours and HOURS we spent listening to the Donut Man years ago would pay off for the mom before a dentist visit? (I actually sat outside the doors of a church auditorium for an hour and a half before Michael and Sean got there so we'd have good seats for a Donut Man concert. Ah, memories.)

When I come home I’ll have a houseful – Thursday’s the day our math tutor comes so she’ll be here as well as the two other students in our class. And I will walk in unable to talk coherently because my lips will be numb. That should be fun.

I just hope I’ll be able to drink a diet Coke. Pretty sure I’ll need one.

7 comments:

  1. You should be able to drink just fine -- just don't try to use a straw (unless you want to give the kids something really amusing to see). IMHO the worst part is how the darn temporary feels -- it's not smooth like a tooth, so my tonge's always heading over to see what the heck is wrong. But you'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always go to one of those sedation dentist places... haha. By now, it's probably over- hope everything went smoothly!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it went well and that you don't dribble Diet Coke down your shirt in front of everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina - thanks for the encouragement. I actually read your comment on my iPhone as I sat in the dentist's office!

    Katie - I used to think the sedation dentists were overrated. Not anymore.

    Traci - I did not dribble diet Coke on myself; I would not waste such goodness! (Love that alliteration!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amity1:35 PM

    Poor girl! I hope it went okay for you today.

    I had to get one a few years ago. I was scared too, but it's a great new tooth.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dental problems are no fun. :(

    but i must say... you guys went to a donut man concert?!?!? im JEALOUS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amity - I'm looking forward to getting my great new tooth, too!

    Stephanie - you are correct about the dental problems. No fun at all. And yes, we did go to a Donut Man concert. If we'd known you in 1996 we'd have taken you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!