Monday, March 29, 2010

Introducing the newest member of our family

I feel like a broken record by talking about Michael’s love of cars, but if you’ll indulge me just one more post…

Michael bought the Fiero yesterday.  I guess technically we bought it because the title’s in Sean’s name but it is all Michael’s, paid for with his money.  (And can I just tell you how thrilled Sean is to have three cars in his driveway?)  We met Justin, the car’s owner after church; we wrote him a check and he signed the title over to us.  And Michael drove the car away.


The girls and I followed him home – it was an excruciating trip because I knew Michael was struggling just a bit with the clutch. It’s a long clutch and you really have to push it all the way to the floor or else it will stall on you. Each light we came to I found myself coaching a little: “Come on, honey, you can do it. Just a little more gas, just a little more, okay, yea, you’re going!” Amy finally patted me on the arm and said, “He’s doing fine Mom. And he can’t hear you.”

When we got home Michael wanted to wash it. Folks, I was wearing a winter coat and was still cold because, guess what? It was only 44 degrees! That is a bit chilly to be hand washing a car. Oh, and did I mention it was raining?  But the boy got the bucket and hose out and washed that thing from top to bottom, wheels and all. A neighbor from across the street, also a car guy, came over to check out Michael’s new wheels. He went home, rummaged around in his garage for a while, then brought back a huge car wash kit. He said he didn’t have time to wash his car anymore so he wanted Michael to have it.

After he got it all cleaned up Michael asked me to go for a ride. How does a mom turn down an invitation like that?! He drove me around, then asked if I’d like to drive. I said, “Sure!” and hoped in the driver’s seat. Well, actually I gingerly lowered myself in; it felt like I was sitting on the ground. “It’s so low, Mom. Isn’t it sweet?” Only if I can actually get out of the thing…

In a rare moment of Mom coolness I showed him I still know how to drive a stick shift car. I have a soft spot in my heart for standard shift cars – the first car I owned was a stick and I loved driving it. It was fun to show Michael I still had the touch.

All coolness evaporated when we pulled into the driveway. I needed a forklift to get out of that car. It sits really low to the ground. Really, really low.

Late in the afternoon Michael gave Sean a huge hug and said, “Thanks for helping me do this, Dad.” After he left the room, Sean looked at me and said, “I’ve been waiting for this day for 16 years. It’s one of the happiest days of my life.”

It’s one of mine, too.


Please notice where Sean's car is parked...

9 comments:

  1. What a great story! And I can so relate to the coaching from the car behind.

    It's a new era for you, Christy. Blessings on all of you!

    Hugs,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I guess that means you figured out how to dose yourself with the muscle relaxers more effectively? ;-) Glad Sean had (almost) as much fun as Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Tell Michael congrats for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael should (quietly) bring it to Seuss sometime and let me experience the Fiero. :-D haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, all I can say is WOW!! I give you credit, I don't think I could get out of that car...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also noticed how TINY that car looks next to your truck! What fun (and fear at the same time). And no, my brothers car was not the same kind as Michaels

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catherine - you are so right; this is a new era for us. Thanks for your well-wishes.

    Tina - 1/2 a pill is a much better plan than a whole one. If I'd taken the whole one I'd still be sitting in that car but I'd *be certain* I was in my truck.

    Stephanie - I'll do it! I'm sure he'll be excited to give you a ride!

    Elisheva - I'm sure that will be arranged!

    Traci - it wasn't a graceful exit...

    Meg - it is so small but I am assured the "space frame" makes it exceedingly safe. I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Daughter of mine....what a great post! I loved every line laced with the ambiguity of joy, nostalgia and fear!!!! But, you are one cool Mom!
    Ofcourse, I loved Amy's line of counsel and gentle pat...I can hear her now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL I take it that's Sean's car by the curb?

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!