Thursday, March 18, 2010

Not a glamorous injury

The first two workouts for week three of the Couch to 5K went well. This week’s plan is:

Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then two repetitions of the following:
• Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
• Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
• Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
• Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)

I was pretty impressed that I actually jogged the full three minutes. Of course, the entire time I was thinking, “two minutes left, 90 seconds left, 60 seconds left…” The friend who encouraged me to run the race told me running is 95% mental. I didn’t believe her at the time; I do now.

Today was supposed to be another training day but I didn’t make it due to an injury. I’d like to say I strained a muscle while pushing myself to the breaking point on the treadmill. But the truth is I pulled something in my back yesterday when I bent over to pick up a laundry basket. An empty laundry basket. Sean had a back injury a few years ago and my brother-in-law threw his back out recently -  I did not show enough sympathy. This is some serious pain. If I don’t move from my current position I’m okay. The problem is my current position is on the couch.  Kind of hard to function from the couch.

Seven weeks until the 5K. I certainly hope my back is back in jogging shape ASAP! Dang, did I just say that? Maybe I am turning into a a jogger after all. I am horribly uncomfortable with that realization…

3 comments:

  1. Naw, I think you're uncomfortable b/c of your back. That jogger thing. . .it's all in your mind. Or at least that's what I hear. From my sofa. While others run past. Hope you're feeling better soon! BTW, 3 Advil every 4 hrs (or so) works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina - definitely popping the Advil! Thanks for the well-wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡Qué cosa, Pobrecita!
    As much as you'd like to get back to the training schedule, do your back a favor and make sure you let it FULLY recuperate first! Otherwise you'll be in a world of hurt for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!