Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Running, running, running

I’m on week 2 of the Couch to 5K training schedule: “Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.” So far, so good, but I must admit I still haven’t had that euphoric feeling I’ve heard many runners feel. Of course, that’s because I’m not exactly a runner seeing as I’m only running jogging 90 seconds at a time.

When my alarm went off Monday morning my first thought was, “I am just not going to run this stupid thing.” The second thought was, “Why in the world did I write about this?” I hauled myself out of bed and got to the Y and did my workout despite my lack of enthusiasm.

Three of my dearest friends in Atlanta have served as motivation when I couldn’t muster any up on my own. We were in a Bible study together for several years before I moved to Michigan, and we’ve kept up with each other via email and visits when I go back home. We have lots in common but one area where I’m the odd man out is the running department. The three of them are avid exercisers - just last year they completed a triathlon together and are talking about doing another. While I would love to participate with them, I know my limitations. For crying out loud, I nearly had a heart attack when the four of us biked through Callaway Gardens at our church’s women’s retreat. Hey, Kathy, Hope and Carolyn, it was a retreat! We should have been at the spa.

Anyway, when I was at the Y on Monday I pictured myself attempting another 5K, but this time with those buds. I immediately got hold of myself and said, “Whoa, back that train up! The one in May is my one and only 5K!” And then I began to wonder if maybe I was experiencing that runner’s euphoria because I know if I’d been in my right mind I would most definitely not have thought about doing another 5K, even with my sweet friends. Had I been in my right mind I would have pictured us in the spa, wearing fluffy robes and flip flops so our freshly painted toes wouldn’t get smudged.

But tomorrow it’s back to the Y for my 90 second jog/2 minute walk routine. The spa will have to wait.  But not too long, I hope!

1 comment:

  1. hahaha. :) Glad the training is going well!

    I know... seriously... that euphoria/endorphine business is all lies. For some reason, I've experienced it while exercising in other ways, but running is ALWAYS miserable for me. Oh well. No pain no gain I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!