Thursday, July 29, 2010

Kenya update - day 9

Back in Nairobi after an eventful twelve days.  We head home tomorrow evening and saying good bye this time will be nearly as difficult as it was 23 years ago.

This morning we saw three lion cubs playing with their mother, zebras, hippos and wildebeests galore.  The beauty of this place is stunning.  And when I get back home and can upload pictures I'll be so excited to post them.  I'm limited here to my friend Dan's Safaricom card which charges by the MB and uploading costs a ton.  I've waited this long; I'm sure I can wait a few more days.  But don't think it's not driving me nuts.  I've missed my little laptop and iPhone.  I've gotten along just fine without but I'll be happy to have them back.

Only one little glitch has occurred - Rebecca had an allergic reaction the the malaria medication.  She had what looked like mosquito bites from her head to the bottom of her feet.  And she itched like crazy.  But the nurse on our team, Nancy, said she thought it was a reaction to the meds and not bites.  Shannon's husband has an international plan on his phone so he let me call my friend Carissa to have her ask her husband, Dr. Nick what we should do.  His advice, switch to a different medication and give her Benedryl, was just what she needed.  The rash on her torso is gone and the one on her legs are fading.  Thank you so much, Carissa and Nick!

Tonight the girls and I are sharing a dormitory-type room with my friend Angela.  It's 11:43 pm here and they've already turned out the lights.  I'm typing in the dark... we were up at 5:30 this morning so I suppose I should get some shut-eye as well.  But this is the first chance I've had to check in that I'm having a hard time turning off my computer...

We've had so many adventures - I cannot wait to get home, look at the pictures and relive them.  And I can't wait to fill you all in.  Thanks for all the prayers and sweet comments.

Until next week!
Christy

3 comments:

  1. So great to hear from you and I am so glad you had a great trip! Can't wait to hear all about it! Poor Rebecca, tell her the Halls are praying for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear things are still good. Hope Rebecca gets to filling better soon. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an adventure - I'm excited to hear more about it! Also, I'm glad Rebecca's okay.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!