Thursday, September 02, 2010

Random Thoughts

School starts next Tuesday. I am not ready. Well, technically, I am, but mentally, not so much.

There were a lot of commas in the previous sentence.

Michael is taking Pre-Calc. I get a little sick just thinking about that. No, I am not teaching him Pre-Calc. I have hired a lovely tutor who actually enjoys math. She went to college with Sean, who also loves math. I am trying not to hold that against either of them.

Amy will be taking Algebra II. Hello, math tutor.

Rebecca will be in fifth grade. I didn’t hire the math tutor for her, but after reviewing elapsed time with her this week I’m reconsidering the wisdom of that decision.

This year, my sister started homeschooling her daughter. So far, so good. But I give her two months until I get the phone call, “Why did you suggest this?!”

I just made that comment to Sean last night and we haven’t even officially started, so two months might be optimistic.

One of the co-ops we’re attending this year has a mandatory meeting at 7:45 am next Tuesday morning. We’ve attended this co-op for four years, and I’ve dutifully attended their “mandatory” meetings each year. And each year I’ve left thinking, “There’s an hour of my life I won’t get back.” This year, I’m not going.

Even though I just typed my determination not to go I’m having second thoughts.

No – I refuse to have my time wasted.

But it says, “Mandatory.”

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for this crisis of conscience.

All three kids will be participating in a musical this year. Michael and Amy are in Brigadoon; Rebecca’s in Aristocats. Rebecca will be the mouse Roquefort, which I think is hysterical. She’ll be a perfect little mouse.

I’m all about the Aristocats’ music. Brigadoon, not so much. Which, I’m sure, says something about the maturity of my musical taste.

I will have to learn to love Brigadoon, however, because I’m going to be hearing it. A lot. The kids will be singing it and Sean’s conducting the orchestra again, which means he’ll be playing it on the piano tons.

Dang, I hope it grows on me because right now I do not love it.

I just searched for a picture of Roquefort the Mouse and got a lot of cheese pictures. Gotta say, with a name like, “Roquefort,” it already didn’t sound appetizing. The pictures aren’t helping.

Of course, now I’m thinking about cheeses that don’t look all gross, like Colby jack.

Great. Now I need a snack.

7 comments:

  1. "Everybody wants to be a cat!" I'm with you -- Aristocats wins, hands down. Then again, it was the first movie I ever saw (I think I was 5 or so), and we love it at our house, too.

    Not so much on the math; I'm guessing you can't google your way out of pre-calc, like I did with Adam's 2nd grade "mini-computer" goobledegook this week. Shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so I'm coming in on this late...do you homeschool your kids? Is this the first year or how long have you done it? Good luck with it! Hope the music grows on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brigadoon will grow on you. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me laugh. Random thoughts are my fave...maybe b/c my attention span is so short... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your random thoughts Funny Lady. I'm not mentally ready either. Can't get there and don't wanna.

    I wasn't too crazy about that Brigadoon music, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christy, what co-op do you do? We're attending enrichment day for the first time this year and I am super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina - I completely felt your pain when you mentioned Adam's second grade homework. Pretty sure I'm going to regret not having our tutor teach Rebecca, too.

    MHWTV - yep, we homeschool. This will be our 7th year. Now that is hard to believe!

    Sean - I hope you're right. Maybe you should play it more for me.

    Traci - I'm with you on the attention span thing.

    Amity - Would you please tell Sean you're with me about Brigadoon?

    Meg - I'm so glad you're excited! Co-ops can be such a great way to homeschool, and the CHESS one we're participating in looks like it will be fabulous. The other one that I mentioned... it will be great once the mandatory meeting is over. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!