Tuesday, November 02, 2010

I've voted - have you?

Well, technically, I haven't voted yet since I'm writing this Monday night.  But you bet your patootie that I'll be at the polls on Tuesday, casting my vote, feeling like a citizen, helping to term-limit some folks who need to find a new way to make a living.

One of the tough aspects of moving to a state so far from home is not knowing the politics. When I was home last week for my grandmother's funeral I heard the news and recognized nearly everyone who's running for a major state office.  Not so up here in Michigan. I've had to research and dig and figure out who deserves my vote - oh, who am I kidding?  If they've got an (R) by their name that's who I'm voting for this time. But before you call me a partisan, please know the first time I ever cast a ballot I voted for Sam Nunn (D), for senator.  Of course, that's the only time I ever voted for a (D), so let's move along.

All that to say picking the governor/representatives/senators is relatively easy but the judges are something else.  Even if their name is followed by an (R) I think electing judges is more difficult, especially since now so many of them think they can legislate from the bench.  I've read up on the candidates, but needed to hear from folks who had background information to offer. That's why, when I heard several friends talking about two of the judges running for Michigan's Supreme Court, I listened.

I was already leaning toward Mary Beth Kelly and Robert Young, but after hearing such glowing remarks from friends I trust, I felt even more confident about voting for them.

Neither candidate knows I exist, so please don't think this is a paid endorsement (although I would definitely consider a paid writing gig any day of the week).  Both these candidates have stellar records of NOT legislating from the bench.  But beyond that they are quality people.  One of my friends knows Young personally and couldn't say enough good stuff about him.

So for my fellow Michiganders who may be new to the state's politics, or for anyone on the fence about the judges' race, I think Young and Kelly are the right judges for us.  Even this lower-case L libertarian is pleased with them.

Young had this picture on his Facebook profile - certainly a winner in my book.


________

3 comments:

  1. I was worried at first that you were going to say Kelly and Young were not good. relieved since I voted for them this am. :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The media don't make it any too easy to do that research and figure out the best candidate! I actually read through the local paper's voters' guide in the Sunday issue, but got to the polls and found several races and 4 amendments that weren't in the guide. They were in the paper on other days but some mornings, i don't catch it. Wish they'd put them ALL in together on a logical day, like the Sunday issue.

    But at least the automated politi-bots will stop phoning now. I pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie - I do know several people who are personal friends with Young. I think he's the best choice.

    NftP - It is definitely difficult to know who's best. And really, it's knowing who will be most immune to the trappings of the office. I vote R because those values are closest to my own, but I'm well aware the R's up there now aren't acting on the stated R principles.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!