Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thank, Eat, Repeat

It’s Thanksgiving Day in America, a day associated with an abundance of food and time with family and friends.  My family, immediate and extended, will certainly partake of a tasty spread today.  My sister and I actually talked my mom into going out for Thanksgiving – she’s never gotten to enjoy the day because she spends the whole time working. Yes, Heather and I contribute, but we’re side dish girls; Mom is the queen of the kitchen.  And while it took some convincing, I think she’s thrilled she doesn’t have to get up early tomorrow to prepare the bird. 

In addition to eating (the place we’re going is a buffet and Michael is so excited), like others, we’ll spend some time talking about the things we’re thankful for this year.  I know one of the first things I’ll mention is my church, the body and the teaching.  I wouldn’t have made it in Michigan without both. 

But another thing I’ll mention is our good health.  I have been struck lately by the many who are desperately sick – sick with cancer and debilitating illnesses where the thought of a cure is a distant memory.  Our sweet friend Bonnie is back in the hospital, fighting the effects of the radiation she’s receiving to combat the reoccurrence of leukemia.  My dear neighbor Julie is undergoing chemo to fight breast cancer.  A high school friend has colon cancer.  And the family of Sean’s friend from work who recently passed away after a fight with leukemia is on my mind today.

So while I’m counting my many blessings, I’ll be praying for those who are so sick.  If you’re the praying sort, I hope you’ll join me. 

Back to those blessings… Please know I consider it a major blessing that you read this blog.  There are a gazillion other things to do, online and in real life; the fact that you take a few minutes to touch base here thrills me.  I hope I’ve been as big a blessing to you as you’ve been to me.

Now, go grab some turkey, hug a loved one and thank the Lord for all He's blessed you with this year!  And a word to you Black Friday shoppers: I think you’re crazy.  There.  It just had to be said.  (And yes, Traci, I’m talking about you.)

Happy Thanksgiving, y’all!




_____________________

3 comments:

  1. Target in Canton.....4 am baby...BE THERE!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traci - you are insane. But I love you anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving with your family at the buffett! I'm thankful to have you as a friend even if it is just in blog land!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!