Monday, February 21, 2011

I knew it wasn't over

A week ago we had several inches of snow on the ground.  By Friday, it was all gone.  We had several 40°+ days, and the temperature actually reached 50° one day last week.  People posted things on Facebook like, “Spring is coming!” and, “Maybe that groundhog was right!”  As much as I wanted to believe them, I knew they were wrong. I may have only lived through five Michigan winters, but even I know we are in for cold, snowy times for at least two more months. Spring doesn’t show up here until May at the earliest.  Heck, the first June we were here it snowed, so even May may be optimistic.

Despite the facts, I wanted to believe I could put away my snow boots. I wanted to believe I wouldn’t have to slosh through nasty, slushy parking lots any more.  I wanted to believe the grass was here to stay. I almost gave in to the promise of an early spring. But the realist in me prevailed, and it’s a good thing.  This is what my backyard looks like this morning:



Y’all, I know it’s Michigan and snow happens up here. I bought a warm coat and I have good boots and I finally got a snow blower and I am trying to make the best of it.  But I am over the snow.  Over. It.  I want to wear my fun new black shoes!  I don’t want to have to wear a scarf in the house any more. I want to wear short sleeves. I don’t want to have to keep dressing in layers.  In short, I don’t want to deal with winter anymore and I do want an early Spring.  And I mean NOW.

Well, now that I got that little tantrum out of the way, I feel better. I will get on with my life, which includes mailing some letters. I just need to find my hat, scarf, gloves and boots for the walk to the mailbox.

3 comments:

  1. Amen. I just shoveled. Let's just say, I am DONE with winter.
    But apparently winter is not done with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I see any more snow here I might scream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as in Michigan, spring in Idaho is an illusive thing. We, too, have had snow in June.

    I'm also Over. It.

    The only remedy right now is a good hot flash. (A moment a of personal summer.)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!