Monday, April 30, 2012

Have teens, will travel

By the time you read this, I’ll be working my way down I-65, heading toward Atlanta. This is not a normal, family trip. Of course, none of our family trips is normal, but I digress… No, this time Sean and I are chaperones of nine teenagers who are thrilled to be skipping school this week to participate in their Senior Trip.

So far, so good. Sean and I knew several of the kids before we left, but four were only names to us until we met them in the Walmart parking lot yesterday. All are friends of Michael, and we’re pleased to say he has good taste in friends.

That is not to say they are not, well, unique. Of course, our son leads the pack in that definition, so we’ll leave it at that.

Amy is also along, despite her sophomore status. The trip is heavy on testosterone, so Michael asked Amy to come along to keep the one senior girl company. And just before we left, they asked another young lady, a junior, to come, so we have three girls and six boys. A seventh gentleman is meeting us in Atlanta tomorrow. Our 15 passenger van is going to be very full and very fun.

Rebecca is enjoying a week with the grandparents. She is fine. No question about that.

So was driving 400 miles with a bunch of my kids’ friends, eating at McDonalds and Wendy’s on my dream agenda for my 42nd birthday? Nope. But that’s just because I hadn’t done it before. Turns out, it was quite a spectacular birthday after all.

And I only made them listen to one Amy Grant album. But it was my birthday, after all!

Taking a picture of them was a lot like trying to herd cats...


My son's birthday wishes to me, drawn on my jewelry box. Guess I need to dust...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!