Monday, April 02, 2012

Hungry for the Games

A few months ago, Amy asked if she could read a book recommended to her by a friend. I’d not heard of it, so off to the internet I went to do a little research. And what I read freaked me out.

“You want to read a book about kids killing each other?!”

And that’s how the fascination with The Hunger Games started at our house.

Amy assured me that many of her friends had read the book. And many of her friends’ moms had read it, too. I’m really not sure why I said, “Yes,” but I did, and Amy devoured the trilogy in a week. When the movie came out, she arranged a movie night for the youth group to see it opening weekend

And then she started telling me to read it.

Last week, I gave in and cracked open the book. I still had concerns that I’d a) let my baby read a book about children killing each other and b) let my baby organize a movie night where other people’s babies watched a movie about children killing each other. I began the book, hopeful I hadn’t made some horrific mistake.

I finished the first book in two days. Two days later, I finished book two. I started the final book in the trilogy last night, and it is a dadgum miracle I’ve done anything at all productive today, because all I want to do is read the book. Amy told me I should just give in and finish it, because until I do I won’t be able to stop thinking about it.

She is right.

For the two people in the universe who haven’t heard of The Hunger Games, it’s a book about life in a post-apocalyptic country called Panem.  The country has an annual game where a boy and girl from each of the country’s 12 districts compete to the death, thus reminding the citizens that anything resembling a previous rebellion will not be tolerated. We see the events unfold through 16 year old Katniss Everdeen’s eyes, one of the 24 who will play in the Hunger Games.

Yep. It’s a book about children killing children. And it is as horrifying as it sounds. But it’s more than that. It is part social commentary and part science-fiction. And it’s a really, really engaging story.

Quite honestly, I’m shocked the conservative community didn’t go the whole, “Boycott The Hunger Games,” route. It went nuts over Harry Potter and his magic; I am positively amazed that didn’t happen with these books. Unless we’ve actually learned a valuable lesson. That sometimes, scary, dangerous material can actually teach us. That reading about pretend struggles of good vs. evil will actually help us as we battle our very real struggles. That what’s horrible in a work of fiction may not be so far from reality and it could serve as a wake-up call.

I haven’t finished the third book, but I am banking on good winning in the end. Not sure, exactly, what that will look like in this case, but I surely do hope Katniss and Gale and Peeta figure out how to live together. And that two of those three live more together than they do at the end of Book 2.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!! Love your thoughtful response and love that you enjoyed the books! Have you seen the movie yet? I thought it was good, but the book was far better (as usual).
    Can't wait to hear what you think of the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niece-the-Younger (17) and I rarely read the same kind of books. (Niece-the-Older and I do.) NtY doesn't read as much for pleasure as I wish she would. She usually chooses her books by ones that have been made into movies (particularly anything she has to read for school).
    But I was aware that she'd inhaled these three books in the same way that NtO and I had inhaled the Harry Potter series.

    When she asked me to read them, too, I reluctantly agreed. They sounded so dark and depressing. Robby and I borrowed the first one from some friends at church. Their kids give us great recommendations for Jack and the two older ones (12 and 14) enthusiastically endorsed THG over a church dinner. The two kids fell over themselves trying to tell us about them without giving away any spoilers. Their Dad and Mom jumped in, too.

    Robby and I started reading them last week. We only read in the bits of time that Jack is asleep so it's been slow going for us* (*if I didn't have to wait for Robby I'd be done with all three by now...)

    I'm looking forward to the movie when we finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love The Hunger Games! I, too, my friend was reluctant like you but am so glad I finally gave in. It's addicting, right? Great blog, btw...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Hunger Games! I read them last year, but my son just devoured all three in less than a week's time. Then we saw the movie. We can't wait for the next one!

    I hope you are satisfied with the end. My guy didn't get the girl, but that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't read them yet. Not sure I will. I have a harder time with graphic books than I do graphic movies -- and I'm very careful what movies I watch because I still have movie-induced nightmares from seeing the Exorcist when I was a teenager.

    Anyhoo... have read other blog posts over at Planet Nomad about the books (and movie), that I think you'd enjoy:
    http://planetnomad.wordpress.com/2012/03/24/on-being-a-cool-mom-maybe-too-cool/
    http://planetnomad.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/dystopian-reality-plus-a-shameless-appeal-for-your-vote/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made it all the way through Harry Potter yet (just about done with book 4), but these might be on my list. Call it my Year of Strange Dreaming. You should've been there (in my sleeping brain) when Randy Pope met Harry!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!