Monday, April 16, 2012

Where I've Been

Since last September, each Friday you could find me at rehearsal for Homeschool Performing Arts' production of The Wizard of Oz. For seven months, 95 middle and high school students have learned lines, songs and choreography. They have worked diligently with little complaint. And I had the privilege of being there every step of the way as the production manager.

Last week all that hard work paid off and we lived in Oz for four performances. Saturday night’s performance was simply magical.

Saturday was bittersweet for me because that was the last time all five Duffy’s will perform together with HPA. I cried (surprise!) a good portion of the day, but by the time the curtain closed, I was dry-eyed. I’m sure that won’t last.

I have truly fallen in love with Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion and all the Ozians, Munchkins, Winkies, Monkeys, Jitterbugs and Kansans. I will miss them so much. 


It was a wonderful weekend, and I'm already having Oz withdrawals. Can't wait to see the DVD!



Rebecca as a member of the Lullaby League

Amy as Snow, with Amber as Glinda and Jillian, another Snow

Amy as a Jitterbug (front row, 4th from the right)

Michael as a Winkie

Michael as Uncle Henry, and dear friend Elizabeth as Aunt Em

Cast, crew, orchestra and HPA staff - that is a stinkin' lot of people! Love them all.


Many thanks to Kari Alvaro, Matt Rider and Amber Keilen for the use of their pictures.









2 comments:

  1. What fun!
    Spent a lot of time sitting in the auditorium during rehearsals as the kids were very involved in community theatre for a number of years. But never went beyond helping with tickets, an occasional costume, and some advertising. I can only imagine how invested you were in the production -- no wonder you're having withdrawal!
    But what wonderful family memories you've made... and who knows, down the road you might have another chance to work together on a play. Maybe at church or some other venue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you notice that I'm turning my head in the full cast picture?

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!