Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Eu tu, Kermit?

I love Chick-fil-A. No big surprise there. I also love the Muppets. I remember watching them on Saturday nights with my sister - one of the few shows we were allowed to watch. But now, these two companies I love have had a bit of a falling out. And I'm a tad disappointed in my furry, inanimate friends and their command of the English language.

The Jim Henson Company, the guys behind the Muppets, has decided to part ways with Chick-fil-A because CFA president Dan Cathy said he does not believe the traditional definition of marriage should be changed. This was first reported two days ago, and since the story broke, the majority of the headlines state Henson broke up with CFA over its “anti-gay” views. (They could easily be called  “pro-traditional family” views, but that doesn’t fit the narrative.)

On the heels of the remarks, the mayor of Boston said he’d try to keep the chicken franchise from opening in his city. “Chick-fil-A doesn’t belong in Boston,” said Mayor Thomas Menino. “You can’t have a business in the city of Boston that discriminates against a population...”

Y’all, is this where we are as a nation? Seriously? A mayor of a major American city does not understand the difference between stating one’s views and actively discriminating against someone?

Mayor Menino, can I introduce you to the First Amendment?

Agree with Cathy’s or not, anyone interested in freedom should be appalled at what Boston’s mayor said. CFA’s owner has the right to discuss his views. He said, “the biblical definition of the family unit” is the best definition of marriage. He didn’t say he wouldn’t hire a gay man or refuse service to a lesbian.

The Henson Company said, "The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over fifty years and we have notified Chick-fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors.”

As a libertarian, I'm more than supportive of Kermit and Ms. Piggy partnering with whomever they desire. But they need to look up the definitions of diversity and inclusiveness. Because the decision to drop the partnership with CFA doesn’t feel too diverse or inclusive to me. 


1 comment:

  1. A-yup. This whole "kiss-in" thing they're talking about now is the next round. Are they trying their darndest to pick a fight or what?

    Personally, if I managed a CFA, I'd print up big banners saying something like, "Pucker up! The lemonade's on us." and give out free lemonade all day.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!