Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Nine years and counting

So, today begins our 9th year of homeschooling. Which is pretty funny when I remember how vehemently opposed to it I was 10 years ago.

I only have two at home, and only one who actually still needs my input; Amy outpaced my math and science knowledge years ago. Rebecca’s not far behind. I’m occasionally needed for writing and English, but only occasionally. Michael said he’d still send me his papers so I can read them. It will make me feel moderately useful.

(Is it totally wrong to want to write a paper for one of Michael’s assignments just to see how I’d be graded? Michael already nixed the idea, but I’m still thinking about it… Maybe he could submit two?)

It’s amazing how many different ways there are to homeschool. I know some moms who study all summer long, re-learning chemistry and algebra so they can teach it to their kids the following year. Trust me when I say I am not one of those moms. I didn’t love learning it in high school; I can’t imagine spending my summer trying to learn it now. I’m more of a homeschool facilitator. I find people who can teach my kids and send them there. Amy’s taking American lit and chemistry this year as well as geometry. American lit I can do; chem and geometry? Not so much.

If you think you can’t homeschool, think again. The curriculum options are endless and there are tons of programs to assist you – one of my favorites is Teaching Textbooks. Love, love, love this math program because it explains how to do each and every problem in the book! Sean loves it for Math with Dad, his favorite part of the homeschool day.

Having now sent one away, I cannot begin to tell you how thankful I am that we have chosen this education model. Michael got a fine education – he got a decent score on the ACT and got into the college of his choice. And while I’m glad the kids are getting good book learnin’, I’m more thrilled they’re getting family learnin’. Sean and I are their main influencers. I know that’s a crazy concept these days, but I would prefer I be the filter for my kids, not other kids, or adults for that matter.

Believe it or not, 18 years fly by. I don’t want my kids spending the majority of their days with someone else.

Not everyone can homeschool. I get that. But those who can, well, I hope you seriously consider it. It will be the hardest, most wonderful thing you'll ever do.

And trust me: if I can do it, you can do it!


1 comment:

  1. I remember the first time I heard about homeschooling. I thought, "Why would anyone in their right mind do something like that?" haha

    A few years later Ivan talked me into trying it. At that point it was more a matter of economics, but as the years went by we came to really love the homeschool lifestyle. It was a perfect fit for our family!

    Once they got to college, both my kids sent me some of their papers to edit and proof-read. Although it was more an exercise of just checking for spelling and grammatical errors, since they both turned out to be great writers.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!