Monday, November 19, 2012

Know who you answer to

Last week a neighbor called; it was around 7:30 in the morning. I was folding clothes, but the kids were still asleep. I guess I was speaking quietly on the phone because my neighbor said, “Did I wake you?”

“No, I’m up but my kiddos are still asleep,” I said.

“Hmm,” my teacher-neighbor said. And I instantly felt the need to explain why my little homeschoolers weren’t wide awake doing their schoolwork, having already diligently read their Bible, done their chores, and made homemade bread.

“Well, we had a really busy weekend so I’m letting them sleep in a bit. We’ll get to our school work in a bit. It will certainly be a busy, busy day!” I said the last part just a little too enthusiastically. And the minute the comments came out of my mouth, I regretted them. Because they were lies.  The weekend hadn’t been any crazier than normal. The truth is we don’t start school until 9 every day.

What the heck happened to me? One disapproving, “Hmm,” from a neighbor I barely know and I’m falling all over myself to explain my educational decisions and children’s bed time routines. If I’d seen my children doing the same thing I would have been tsk-tsking them, telling them to stand strong in their convictions! Don’t give in! You don’t answer to that person!

Sometimes I think the Lord lets that kind of stuff happen just to remind me the things I ask of my children aren’t as easy as I make them seem.

The conversation ended and I spent the rest of the day wishing I’d simply said, “Nope, not up yet!” That’s all I needed to say. I don’t answer to her. I don’t answer to anyone but my husband and God. And so far, they both seem okay with a 9 am start time.

Note to self: just tell the truth. You might lose a blog post, but you won’t spend the next six days thinking back to a conversation that, in the grand scheme of things, matters not a whit.

Note to my children: feel free to remind me of this the next time I act like something that’s hard for you is easy. And please accept the apology that will (hopefully!) follow. 

And you should definitely feel free to start making homemade bread. Just saying.





3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:45 PM

    I hope that you weren't feeling defensive of your choice. Her "hmmm" could have just been her thinking of other options to fill her need (since she was calling at that hour I assume she needed something). I am surprised at how people assume I feel about something, when I either really don't care about it at all or am just thinking about my own self and not you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous! I wasn't assigning any emotion to her; I'm simply stating that regardless of what she thought, I felt defensive. I fully believe people think way less of us than we choose to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, great post! Thank you for the reminder that we answer to God and our husbands! And that it is hard work to be obedient and we need to remember that as we train our kids.
    Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!