Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Oddities at the Post Office

This is weird. We're going out of town soon (that's not the weird part) and I wanted to put our mail on hold. I went to the post office's website, filled in all our info and under special instructions, typed, "Thanks!" But apparently, that's not a valid message:


Maybe, "Thanks!" is just too casual. So I upped it to "Thank you!" and tried again:


No dice. I figured it must have something to do with the number of characters used, so, undeterred, I gave this a shot:


And that worked.

That's weird, right?

It's probably weird that I'm thinking this much about it, but I can't figure out why you'd have to use a majority of the characters to make your message go through. Just add this to the list of things I don’t understand about the USPS. Like the number of signs in my local post office telling customers the post office trash cans are not for outside trash. 

This is a big problem? Really?

Oh well. I just hope the message gets through to our mailman. And I hope everyone who works at our post office knows I never bring in outside trash. Never.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh, there's too little thanking and appreciation in general. They shouldn't discourage it!

    But I'm thinking maybe(?) the problem was the exclamation point?

    ReplyDelete
  3. NftP - I knew there had to be a better reason than simply the number of characters used. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!