Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Worth the (decade) wait

In 1997, I took Amy with me to the local Christian bookstore to pick up the new Amy Grant CD, Behind the Eyes. My Amy was one and did not fully appreciate the importance of being quiet while we listened to the new CD on the way home. Granted, it was nap time, but still. Seems like she should have intrinsically known that this was a time when crying was not a good idea.

Today, I took my Amy to the bank to sign a signature card so she could get her own debit card, and when we finished, she drove off in her car, headed to chemistry class as I drove off in mine to Target to pick up the new Amy Grant CD, her first new release in ten years.
 
My, how time flies.

Pretty sure this is the only time I’ve ever walked into Target and didn’t use a cart. I went straight for the music section, got the CD, checked out and walked with great purpose to my car. I opened the CD as soon as I sat down and promptly couldn’t figure out how to load it in my CD player. After a momentary panic, I found the eject button, got the Christmas disc out and slipped in the new CD.

It’s good. Y’all, it is so good.

Well, there is one song with slightly questionable theology… Okay, really questionable, but I’m just skipping that one.

Anyway, it’s like listening to an old friend tell new stories. And that’s a pretty sweet way to spend the day.

________________________________
(If you're going to get the new CD, get it at Target - they have the edition with three bonus tracks.)








4 comments:

  1. 8~) We had an almost identical shopping day, right down to going in to Target for that one item and leaving with only that!

    My only objection is that there is not even one good rocker on it - it's a great album but very gentle and low-profile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I tried not to give in to my curiosity about which song has a theology problem, but I went over every lyric and i can't find a song that seems (to me!) particularly different in theology from the others...? But it's ok. Sometimes it's better not to know.... 8~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NftP - Glad to know we had similar trips to Target! And I agree about the rocker-song; one good let-er-rip song would have been great.

    As for the theology... "Don't Try so Hard" just doesn't sit quite right with me. This is going to seem nit-picky, but the focus on us being "worth it" seems to downplay the fact that God sent Jesus to glorify Himself, not because we were worth it. I like the emphasis on us not being able to earn His grace, but the other parts of the song feel so man-centered.

    Yes, I'm probably reading too much into it!

    And nice song reference, by the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, OK, and thanks for the explanation! 8~)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!