Monday, August 26, 2013

Walking Wounded

Well, we were quite the sight. Mom, Rebecca and I each had our right hands wrapped up last week – Mom and Rebecca in casts and me in a bandage after my surgical procedure. When we went out for dinner for Amy’s birthday, the waitress asked if we’d fallen off a bicycle built for three. Which was better than the question I got about whether we were in abusive relationships…

Mom did her best to help – she did more than that. Apparently someone forgot to tell her she had a cast on, because she acted exactly like she would have without the cast. She is just slightly crazy. Dad was a huge help, too; he mowed the lawn, a task Sean was dreading doing solo since Michael left for school. They usually tag-team the mowing and trimming. He gets to put off doing the job alone one more week now.

Rebecca has done great with her cast. She got the waterproof kind so she’s been able to swim and shower without wrapping her arm up in a bag. She’s left-handed; she’s been able to eat and write and get along quite nicely. I, on the other hand, am right-handed and have not fared as well. I do have to wrap my hand to shower because I have to keep my stiches dry. I don’t think my hair has gotten too clean or conditioned since last week… I’ve also not been able to write well – an envelope I just addressed looks like a 4 year old wrote it. Turns out I’m not so handy as a southpaw.

Rebecca will be out of her cast in 4 weeks; I go back for my check-up in two weeks. It’s been quite the August for us, that’s for sure. At least we met our family insurance deductible, something we haven’t done in the 20 years we’ve been married. So now I’m trying to figure out what other procedures we need to get done before the end of the year. Pretty sure a colonoscopy in in Sean’s very–near future…

Yes, I've very aware it looks like I'm engaged in offensive hand signals. 
Gotta admit that was a source of great comic relief last week.

Nice...


1 comment:

  1. Oh Christy! I had to laugh, although it's not really funny :/

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!