Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A little understanding, 'k?

So, it looks like Atlanta is facing more winter weather. Schools have called off classes, there’s been a run on bread, milk and eggs at the grocery stores and it looks like my mom may not make it up here for her weekend visit because Delta’s cancelling flights beginning tonight.

I’ve seen all the jokes about Southerners and their reactions to snow. I even posted the SNL skit poking fun at Atlanta and the two inches of snow that caused a massive traffic mess. I’m trying to take it all in stride. But it’s getting a little old. So when I saw what my friend, Katie, wrote about it, I had to share.

Dear Everyone Up North,
Atlanta may be getting some winter weather again this week. Please note that it was 60 degrees in Atlanta today. Our ground and our roads are NOT frozen. So snow that falls is going to first MELT. Then if below freezing temps come in, it will all FREEZE making our roads turn to solid ICE. We will not be able to drive on this (and neither would you). And as usual, this may all be a FALSE ALARM and we will get only rain. And then you will all make fun of us if we pre-emptively shut down the city in advance, only to get rain. 
So please note that we are not like our neighbors to the North. We are NEVER guaranteed snow like you are. We have great weather most of the time, and that winter white stuff freaks us out, because we CHOOSE to live where it DOES NOT snow most of the winter. However I did buy 4 loaves of bread and 2 gallons of milk today, just in case!! And I got to wear short sleeves and flip-flops and sit out on my back porch for a while this afternoon and enjoy the sun.
So make fun if you want, but we don't even OWN snow shovels, and are pretty happy about that!!
Love, Katie

So, give the Southerners a break! We can’t drive on ice. And neither can you.

My sister sent me this picture of her grocery store bread shelf. When 
Southerners go for the milk and bread, we go for the milk and bread!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!