Monday, April 29, 2019

Reboot #2

Today is my 49th birthday. I am well over the hill and quickly sliding down to the other side. The way that time speeds up with each passing year is nuts. And I’m officially old because I said that.

It’s crazy to think I’m past middle age. I thought I’d be middle aged at 60 – because math is not my strong suit. But once reality sets in and you find out the average life expectancy for women is 84, you realize you peaked at 42 and it’s been all downhill ever since.

So to all you 41 year olds: enjoy your last year on that side of the hill!

With my doom racing towards me, I’ve thought about how I want to spend the second half of the Christy Show. Obviously, I want to spend time with loved ones. I want to travel. I want to do all the thing old people say they want to do.

(One thing I don’t want to do is cook. I really want to be done cooking. Sean doesn’t want that to be part of the Sean Show so we’re in negotiations about that one.)

But something else I want to do is attempt to restart my little corner of the internet. It’s been 360 days since I last posted here. Almost a year since I wrote anything other than emails. There are lots of reasons why I stopped and I’ve just spent two hours writing about them, thinking that was going to be my re-boot post. After getting them all down, I realized it’s really not all that important to post why I stopped. Knowing why I want to restart seems like more valuable info. And those reasons get back to why I started in the first place: because I like to write and my family seemed to like what I wrote.

So here's to trying again.

Much has happened since I last posted and I’m looking forward to writing about it all. But I thought I’d start with this little clip from April 27, 2018. Three dear friends, Joanna, Sarah and Margie, went with me to an Amy Grant concert to celebrate my birthday. They had the brilliant idea to write Amy Grant’s tour manager to ask her to wish me happy birthday during the show:

Thanks to Joanna for letting her know where I was!

The number of times I’ve wished to hear something like that from AG is incalculable. But in God’s perfect timing, He knew exactly when I needed it most. And last April was definitely that time. 

This good Southern girl wrote thank yous to her friends, but not to the tour manager, Brooks Parker, who made that possible. Here’s hoping he sees this! Thanks so much, Brooks. And to Amy, too, of course. 

There’s more to share about that and I will – please, it’s Amy Grant. Wild horses couldn’t stop me from revisiting this. But I also want to write about becoming empty nesters and selling our house and moving into an apartment and starting a theater company and parenting adult-ish children and Amy moving to Georgia and Rebecca moving into an apartment and us getting a new daughter by way of Michael’s marriage… A lot has happened in the last 360 days.

But today, I just have to get this reboot started. Here’s hoping it’s not a fluke - and that I remember how to work this thing!



2 comments:

  1. 49 . . . Ah what a nice age! I used to be 49! My number is really good! It is a blessing to be on "this side of the hill!" We get to slide with our kiddoes and their kiddoes and enjoy what else God has for us to do, each and every day! Love people! Love Him!
    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve missed your writing!!! I’m glad you are back!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!