Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Goodbye Prince Eric

Here’s the thing about having a theater company: inevitably you end up with crazy stuff all over the place. Costumes, props, scores, tap shoes, programs – they wind up in your purse, your car, your house. All those things have been in my backseat at one point or another.

But the weirdest thing that’s found its way home with me is the head of Prince Eric, who has been living on a table in my entryway for the last three months. 
See, this past January we produced The Little Mermaid – it was a huge success and we had a blast working on it. But when the final curtain fell, we were left with gobs of, well, stuff. Costumes, props, scores, tap shoes, programs. Thanks to amazing friends and volunteers, most of the items were put where they belonged. But the bust of Prince Eric, which was used in Ariel's grotto scene, was rented from a local theater company and it was my job to return him.

Between missed calls and lost emails, the director of the other theater company and I couldn’t seem to connect. So, Prince Eric just hung out in our entryway.

Prince Eric greeted all our guests. Some noticed him. Some ignored him. Sean wondered if Eric was ever going to be returned. But the longer Eric was there, the more attached I became. Eric hung out right by my key hook so each time I left I’d give him a little pat on the head, and each time I’d come back, he was right there to welcome me home.

Thankfully I didn’t start talking to him, because that would have been a little worrisome…

Finally, last week the director and I connected and arranged a date for me to return Prince Eric. I bundled him up in the front seat and went to our rendezvous spot. Dawn was glad to have him back and I was glad to return him to her car’s backseat. She had two bags of costumes that she wedged him between – man, I cannot believe how much theater stuff can accumulate in a car! – and off they went.

He was so sad he couldn't even watch me drive.
 When I returned home, there was no one there to greet me as I hung up my keys.
Sean came home that night and said, “I love how the table looks now!” Eric was barely gone an afternoon and Sean was ready to redecorate. And by redecorate I mean by not have anything on any flat space in our entire world, especially not my piles. But that's another story...

Goodbye, Prince Eric! Your spot is clear for now. But only until I find an acceptable replacement.

I’m sure Sean will be thrilled.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!