Monday, March 27, 2006

365

One year ago today we packed up our car, said good-bye to friends and family, merged onto I-75 N and drove forever until we hit Michigan. We have lived in Michigan for one whole year.

I can hardly believe it.

I’ve been thinking about this inauspicious anniversary for a few days now, not really knowing what to make of it. I still desperately miss my friends. I miss the ease of walking into church, knowing I’ll see familiar faces. I miss being in Target and running into Rachel, or seeing Jill and her kids at Chick-fil-A. I miss standing at the back fence chatting with Linda. I miss the mornings Rebecca and I spent at Burger King with Kim and James. I miss talking about gardening with Tracey, who, although my yard was a mess, never made me feel my brown thumb was obvious.

I basically miss knowing people and more importantly, being known.

A good, and one of my best, friends called me today to check on me. She knew the date was looming. She could not have picked a better time to call and I thanked God that in His providence she picked up that phone. We talked for 45 minutes. I was huddled in my bedroom closet with the phone pressed tightly to my ear, trying to avoid the bedtime activity swirling around me. We have company staying with us and I’ve been trying to hide my tears around them but with Kathy I could just let them go.

My sister-in-law mentioned to me today that she was amazed at all the good friends I had in Atlanta. She was right; I had the most amazing, interesting group of buds. And I miss them all so much.

But in the missing is the knowledge that I did get to experience what so few really do: good friendship. I am still in touch with some amazing friends who are literally just a phone call away. How awesome is it that I have at least six people I could call in the middle of the night? How many people can say that?

The fact that they are all 800 miles away is a bit of a bummer. Okay, actually it sucks. But they are there! And I thank God He allowed me to see what real friendship looks like.

I have several acquaintances here in my new home. And I have made one actual friend; I am very thankful for her! I know more friends are out there… I just have to keep looking for them.

So it is definitely a day of mixed emotions. I am thankful God brought us here because Sean loves his work. I am grateful the kids are enjoying their school work. I am thankful I don’t have to fight Atlanta traffic any more! And while I am sad God chose to move us 800 miles away from everyone I’ve ever known, loved and held dear I am grateful He has shown me His faithfulness is for real.

As the writer of Lamentations wrote in chapter three:

32 Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love.
33 For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men
55 I called on your name, O LORD, the depths of the pit.
56 You heard my plea: "Do not close your ears to my cry for relief."
57 You came near when I called you, and you said, "Do not fear."
58 O Lord, you took up my case; you redeemed my life.


Whether in Atlanta or Lansing, my God is here, ready to show his compassion and redeem my life. Who could ask for a better friend?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:46 PM

    You know, we miss you something awful, too. Thanks for sharing your feelings about all this. And when ya coming back to visit? ;-)

    /tina

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!