Saturday, April 26, 2008

I'm all for "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" when it comes to stains

Two of my baby cousins are pregnant with their firsts. And yes, they are my baby cousins, even though they are college graduates who are married with husbands and houses and careers. I will always consider them my baby cousins. The older I get the more I enjoy deluding myself. That river in Egypt runs through my head regularly.

Anyway, one of these cousins, Ashley, who is expecting a girl, recently wrote that she loves all the new, sweet miniature clothing people are sending her. And then she wrote, “I do realize … that she will spit up and potentially poop on half of these dreamy outfits in the two months they fit her.” I could not contian my laughter at this comment. “Potentially” poop? I wrote back, “Oh, sweet Ashley, there is no ‘potentially’ about it; your darling, wonderful angel will pee and poop on practically everything, and you will be up to your elbows in dirty miniature clothing for, oh, about the next 18 years, (although the years will bring bigger clothes and bigger messes).”

I resisted the urge to explain the “blow out” and how there will be times when salvaging the onesie is not worth the effort because the amount poop will be entirely too great for any detergent to adequately address. There are some things new moms have to discover for themselves.

My only suggestions: Shout stain cleaner and Clorox bleach pens. Stock up now. And get ready to amaze yourself that you will be able to clean pee and poop without throwing up because, although it is pee and poop, it came from your baby’s bottom, and that will make it okay. Not fun, but certainly okay.


Here's my personal stash - and seconds after taking this picture I had to use the Shout on Rebecca's dress. I don't ask what I'm stain-sticking anymore; I just spray away and hope it all comes out in the wash.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:24 AM

    Oh, your "baby cousins" need to know about Baby All detergent! Not only does it clean the stains you find, but it often takes care of what you didn't even know was there. I was able to get 30+-year-old stains out of some of Jay's baby things so Benjamin could wear them stain-free! And it smells soooo much better (and is way cheaper) than Dreft. Can get it at Publix and Target -- dunno if Walmart carries it or not.

    /laundry fairy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:25 AM

    btw, why do you keep saline solution in the laundry room?

    Curious in Duluth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a very good reason for keeping saline solution in the laundry room... I bought it for Sean when he still wore contacts, but he quit wearing them before he used that bottle up, so it's just sitting there taking up space. It gets about as much use as the carpet/upholstery cleaner in the green box next to it.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!