Saturday, September 20, 2008

I can't believe it!

There are some people who win things and those who do not. I am in the latter camp; I am not known for having won many things. So tonight, when I put my name in the hat for the Wicked lottery, I was fully prepared to lose. I entered my name because I would have kicked myself for not trying, so enter I did.

For the uninitiated: the Wicked lottery happens two hours before each show’s curtain. You put your name in the Wicked Witch of the West’s hat; if your name is pulled you get the opportunity to purchase two front row seats for $25 each. This is done before each Wicked performance whether on Broadway or Los Angles or Chicago or on tour. You never know the odds because they vary depending on how many people show up for the lottery. I entered twice in Lansing but to no avail.

So tonight, as we stood with 50 other lottery-winner-wanna-bes, I could not believe it when my name was called. Could. Not. Sean was laughing, I was laughing and the lady doing the drawing just looked annoyed that I didn’t run up faster. You know those people on The Price is Right who sit stunned for a second after their name is called? You know that deer-in-the-headlights look they have? That was me.

So even though we didn’t plan to see the show, we did. From the front row! We could see the mics taped to their heads and hear individual people sing and watch all the different facial expressions… it really was wonderful.

My adoration of Wicked is bordering on being nearly as severe as my Amy Grant obsession from my teen years. And twenties. And thirties. Okay, nothing can rival that, but Wicked’s giving Amy a run for my money.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:01 AM

    WOOT WOOT!!!!
    No one is a bigger fan, or deserves it more than you!!!
    I am SO excited for you. What a time you must be having! Tell Sean "hi" and that he is a great hubby to take you on such a smashing trip!
    Enjoy!
    Mary Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:23 AM

    oh oh oh -- if you have a chance, you MUST get pizza at Gino's East. The one near Water Tower Place is best (about a block off the Magnificent Mile mondo shopping district), but it's soooo worth it!! Now I'm jealous for TWO reasons. :-)

    Love ya,
    /tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting!! I'm thrilled for you... I hope the Chicago Symphony is as wonderful... as magical as I imagine it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:47 AM

    What a great surprise for your anniversary weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!