Monday, September 29, 2008

A little help here, please

We’ve been in Michigan three years but I still feel like such a newbie, especially when we do something so very Michigan-y like we did this weekend.

On Saturday the kids and I went to an apple orchard where we picked our own apples. We’ve gone to apple orchards before but the apples were pre-picked (the way I like them, to be honest) and (again to be honest) we really went for the cider and doughnuts. This orchard had cider and doughnuts, too, and they had apples, of course, but we had to go pick them off the trees.

The orchard worker handed us a sturdy plastic bag and rake-like picker thing, collected our money, told us we could take as many apples as we could fit into our bag and sent us off to gather our choice of apples.

As soon as we got to the trees, we noticed a few people were eating apples.

I was a little amazed, and my kids were as well. (They’ve heard my grapes spiel at Kroger too many times: “We don’t eat the grapes until we’ve bought the grapes.”) We silently sent glances to each other, the kids hoping I’d say, “Go ahead and eat some apples,” while I hoped they would remember the grape lecture. My mental telepathy skills didn’t work so I spelled out why we wouldn’t eat the apples: We paid for a bag of apples. If we ate some apples, then filled our bag full, the orchard would be cheated out of payment for the apples we ate while picking.

We overheard some people saying, “Everyone eats apples when they pick them,” so I did let the kids eat one apple apiece - yes, I succumbed to peer pressure. But I left room in the bag to account for the apples they ate.

And that incident got me wondering if I was right in my assessment or was I a few apples short of a bushel? But no amount of mental wrangling could allow me to think eating those apples wasn’t stealing. Would anyone dream of doing the same thing in the apple section at Meijer?

Does that analogy miss the mark? Am I being too legalistic? Is that just something that happens at you-pick orchards and I missed the memo? I am seriously looking for feedback on this one.

By the way, the apple cake I made last night was pretty good. But I’m trying another recipe today because, holy cow, we brought home a LOT of apples.

______________________________________________________

PS: If you were one of the apple eaters, please know I still think the world of you; I'm just going to be really careful the next time you're near my pantry...

6 comments:

  1. Christy, you crack me up!! As one of the apple eaters I needed to justify my actions and make sure that this unspoken rule of apple picking is okay. I have now spoken to two apple orchards (one of them being the orchard we were picking at on Saturday) and both places confirmed the practice of eating/tasting the apples as you pick them!! I do agree with you that eating fruit from a store before purchasing is not okay though!! So next time you go feel free to partake in the craziness, although it doesn't sound like you will go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the orchard on Saturday, and I especially enjoyed the company!

    Chalk up my orchard ignorance to the 35 years I lived in a city where apple-picking wasn’t as common as it is where I live now. And I can totally see myself going back to an orchard, although I think my apple-picking days are over. I’m perfectly fine taking the easy way out and buying an already-picked bag ‘o apples.

    Thanks for the clarification – I’m sure your fellow apple-eaters appreciate the vindication. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When our bag full of apples (which magically appear from Ellijay via Grandma C) start to get old and wrinkly, I peel 'em and make applesauce! don't tell Sean, but I often just do apples and some bought apple juice - no sugar needed! Or try the crescent roll apple dumpling recipe that calls for sprite! It is incredible - rivalling chocolate desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill,

    I need that recipe! Please send it when you get a chance.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am soo glad Megan called the orchard, I was about to and it's 10:25pm! So do you believe us now? We really are Christians, and we don't like to steal. (And by the way, Meijer encourages you to taste a grape before buying to check if they are good). Maybe we're just more generous up here in the north! We love you anyway, my southern friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also glad Megan called - it does make me feel better as well. I would also love to hear about any great apple recipes you come across, as I used some apples to make applesauce on Saturday afternoon and we (especially Trevor) have enjoyed snacking on a few more. But I still have what seems to be a full bag of apples sitting on my counter. Anyway, it was a very fun way to spend a Saturday morning with great friends!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!