Thursday, May 28, 2009

A little bragging

Sean’s been taking pipe organ lessons for almost two years – it’s one of the best Christmas presents I’ve ever given him. I love that he takes the time to practice; it’s a great stress reliever for him, and goodness knows with all the awful GM news in the press lately there’s plenty of stress to go around.

A few weeks ago his organ instructor told him the Lansing Guild of Organists was offering a scholarship to fund lessons. Only catch was you had to try out for it. He told me he wasn’t interested. I, the bill-paying queen saw free lessons dancing in the checkbook and said as sweetly as can be, “Oh yes you are!” Besides, I knew he’d win. Have you heard him play? Please. The worst that could happen was he wouldn’t win. The best? He would. There was no doubt in my mind he’d wow them and pocket the $300 to fund his lessons.

His audition was Tuesday evening; he was as nervous as I’ve seen him in a long, long time. As he walked to the car he said, “I feel like I’m in high school going to Solo and Ensemble.” After the audition he called to say he thought he'd done well. I didn’t hear him play but I just knew he’d killed them! (Got to be careful with that kind of terminology – those organist folks aren’t exactly swimming in the young end of the age pool…) He said they’d call on Wednesday to give him the results.

A lovely woman called around 11:30 Wednesday morning to let us know Sean had indeed won the scholarship! I tried to get Sean at work but he was in a meeting so I did the next best thing – I called his parents. They were just as excited as I was.

He finally called about around 2 and the kids screamed into the phone, “YOU WON!” It was welcomed news; the plant hadn’t been running especially well and Sean needed a pick-me-up.

So yay for Sean! And honey, I know nobody likes a told-you-so, but I told you so!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:27 AM

    Congratulations to Sean! I´d love to hear him play one day.
    Kati

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Sean! This calls for a celebration -- break out the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kati! He'd love to come play for you - now that he's learned to play he'd like to tour some of the great cathedrals in Europe to see their organs. I'd just like to head your way for a visit with you!

    Kim - too bad Sean's not a chocolate person. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't be celebrating with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary L11:20 AM

    Awww...he didn't mention that he had an audition or that he had won! That little bugger. I will congratulate him right after I make him feel bad for not telling me. Did he not think I would see it on your blog? I agree with the stress reliever part...Mark has been training for a triathlon that is on the 31st. I truly think it has been the best thing for him especially during these times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool present-- you're such a good wife.
    And kudos to Sean. What a fun bit of news amidst all this doom and gloom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gave me a couple of laughs tonight. We need to get together again sometime this summer. Would love to finish catching up. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angi,

    If you'd been going by "Angi" when we moved up here I'm sure we would have connected sooner! You, Char and I need to get together!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!