Saturday, May 09, 2009

Way to major on the majors

Could this make Christians look more ridiculous?

FINDLAY, Ohio – A student at a fundamentalist Baptist school that forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing will be suspended if he takes his girlfriend to her public high school prom, his principal said.

Despite the warning, 17-year-old Tyler Frost, who has never been to a dance before, said he plans to attend Findlay High School's prom Saturday.

Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said.

The teen, who is scheduled to receive his diploma May 24, would be suspended from classes and receive an "incomplete" on remaining assignments, England said. Frost also would not be permitted to attend graduation but would get a diploma once he completes final exams. If Frost is involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he will be expelled, England said.

Frost's stepfather Stephan Johnson said the school's rules should not apply outside the classroom.

"He deserves to wear that cap and gown," Johnson said.

Frost said he thought he had handled the situation properly. Findlay requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.

"I expected a short lecture about making the right decisions and not doing something stupid," Frost said. "I thought I would get his signature and that would be the end."

England acknowledged signing the form but warned Frost there would be consequences if he attended the dance. England then took the issue to a school committee made up of church members, who decided to threaten Frost with suspension.

"In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.

The handbook for the 84-student Christian school says rock music "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds."

England said Frost's family should not be surprised by the school's position.

"For the parents to claim any injustice regarding this issue is at best forgetful and at worst disingenuous," he said. "It is our hope that the student and his parents will abide by the policies they have already agreed to."

Two problems here. First, the school is focusing on outward appearances instead of the kid's heart. The principal and entire school board sound like they have gigantic sticks up their butts. Haven't they ever heard of Tedd Tripp's Shepherding a Child's Heart? They each need to buy that book and read it super-pronto.

But the student and his family are wrong, too. The kid did sign the form agreeing to abide by the school's rules, however asinine they are. And I get to say that not only because I'm right but because I signed a similar form each year I attended my Christian college. Signing the form didn't keep me out of the bars - a desire to do the right thing because of my faith did (and a healthy dose of Proverbial fear of Dad didn't hurt).

So the school and the kid and the kid's stepfather are all wrong. As a fellow believer I'd just like to say thanks for making the rest of us look stupid. Job well done.

4 comments:

  1. Aside from the fact that I find it incredible that people live this way, I'd like to comment on the school's decision to possibly suspend him. I could see the possible suspension if he goes out and gets arrested at or after the dance. But I don't understand how the school has any right to enforce what he does outside of school. Is his family not "allowed" to dine at a restaurant that might have live music on a Friday night? Isn't his private life (assuming it stays private) between him and his family and God? Sorry, I just can't comprehend being a part of a school that interferes with parenting decisions when the child's safety is not in question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    Bottom line: the school has a say in what his family does because the family signed a contract and agreed to submit the the school's leadership, however misguided it may be. I wouldn't agree to sign something like that again. And I wouldn't be a part of a school like that.

    However... as for finding it incredible people live this way, does that include me? I live that way. Anyone who joins a church agrees to submit to the church's leadership. Obviously in healthy churches the leaders don't micromanage (can you imagine me in an organization like that now?!) but they are charged by God with the great responsibility of leading the congregation. "Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account..." Hebrews 13:17

    If I were going around town cheating on Sean I'd expect my pastor to have a little chat with me. If an elder had a concern about me I'd expect him to pray for me and with me.

    Bottom line - submitting to the leadership of a church isn't oppressive if the leaders seek God and desire to love the congregation as Christ loved the church.

    Aren't you glad you commented?!

    I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beth delaney5:37 PM

    Hi Christy,
    I find it interesting that they say that "rock music is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds." I think that their own "culture" is more likely to implant seeds of rebellion in the hearts and minds of these young people.
    Who are these kids from Christian families who often go astray once they get out on their own? It's often those who never had opportunities to make some decisions of their own. Once they have the chance, they just go wild.

    So sad. I think that some private schools and even colleges are actually making these strict rules for the parents, so they feel "safe" sending their kids there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth - I totally agree with you. Thanks for writing!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!