Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Now we're talking real money

I am spatially challenged. I am incapable of selecting the correct size container for leftovers - it's either too big or too small. “Go about half a mile and take a left,” means nothing unless there’s a gas station where I’m supposed to take the left, which you better tell me about or I’ll totally miss the turn. When we were looking for a house Sean would say, “The bedroom’s 10X12.” I would stare at him blankly until he told me if that meant a twin or double bed would fit. Maybe a queen, I’m still not sure how big that is…

When it comes to talking numbers I’m even more clueless. And as the debates raged over Bush’s and now Obama’s spending I couldn’t grasp how ginormous the amounts of money really were. I mean, $50 is a lot of money to me; talks of a billion here and trillion there make me go cross-eyed. Then I found this little gem on YouTube. Talk about putting things in perspective:



That, my friends, is scary. I don’t care if you vote for the R’s or the D’s but we have got to tell our representatives to quit spending money they don’t have, and to quit taking money from our children before they even get a chance to earn it.

2 comments:

  1. Assuming his math and visual representations are correct, that's quite powerful. Yep, not such a big deal anymore. . . . (the cut, that is).

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!