Monday, July 27, 2009

Teenage time and the living is harried

I woke up Sunday morning with a great big fever blister on my bottom lip. Actually there were five little blisters clumped together to make one big ol’ nasty-looking lower lip. If the blisters had been evenly distributed my lower lip would have looked like one of Angelina Jolie’s. Not a bad looking lip, but considering it was only the right corner of my bottom lip that was wonky I looked more like one of those women who’ve spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on plastic surgery only to end up looking like a cat.

I knew exactly why my lip was revolting: stress. It had been a busy week and then Saturday morning a certain child who will be thirteen in a month woke up; need I say more? It was all downhill from there. (Watch for the post, “How I Refrained from Throwing My Child Out the Window” coming soon to a blog near you.)

The stress started earlier in the week with Michael. He was driving and I gave what I thought was good advice; he acted like I was the biggest dummy on the planet. Then later in the week I realized my soon to be teenager rolled her eyes at practically every word that came out of my mouth.

This day was bound to happen, the day when I officially became stupid. I remember thinking my parents were stupid (sorry, folks) but I was rarely brazen enough to flaunt it right in front of them. Yes, I rolled my eyes but for the most part when they said, “Jump!” I said, “How high?” That is a parenting skill I have yet to master.

Walking with Michael into his teenage years was a breeze. Thirteen, fourteen, even the first part of his fifteenth year was fun. I thought, “Man, we’ve got it made! Who said the teenage years were torture?” Sure, there were the occasional bouts of, “Mom, I think you’re crazy,” but he managed to make it seem like I wasn’t a lost cause. Lately, though, the times he’s looked at me with eyes that say, “I cannot believe you’ve managed to survive on this planet as long as you have,” have increased exponentially.

And of course, there’s his younger sister who entered this phase years before he did and she is pulling out all the stops. She makes no attempt at all to hide the fact that she thinks I’m a freak of nature who should only be viewed in a museum.

I need a shirt with a big “M” on it. Everyone would think it stood for Mom or Mommy or Mother or some other lovely word related to caring for my young. But I’d know what it really meant: Moron.

The kids know I’m on to them. Now when they give me those looks I make the “M” sign across my chest. I told them I’m going to get a shirt like Superman, only with an M in the place of the S. And maybe a cape, too. Their eyes rolled so far back in their heads I wasn’t sure they’d ever see again.

10 comments:

  1. The good news is: eventually you regain all your former brilliance and then some. The bad news is: you probably have a few years to go before that wonderful day arrives.

    I periodically threaten to sell my youngest on ebay; it makes us both laugh.

    I know it's a frustrating time, but you'll be fine (or... you'll be childless because they all were thrown out the window before their 18th birthdays). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I have told you this before, but I am so glad you are a couple of years ahead of me in this parenting game so you can show me how to survive! I was told by my sister in law this weekend that my dear, sweet 12 and a half year old DOES occasionally roll his eyes at me behind my back.... I honestly did not know that! and so it begins.......

    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's it mean if I occasionally fail to fight the urge to roll MY eyes at my teen and tween's ridiculous attitudes?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine - so good to be reassured that this, too, will pass. In my head I know it but there are times I don't believe it.

    Traci - hard to believe your dear 12 year old is doing it, too! I pray I have good advice; right now, though, there are days I can barely keep my cool. We need to pray for each other!

    Jill - you know I'm right there with you!

    Amity - we're both morons! Maybe I should produce M shirts for us...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally think you should get that shirt with the big M and if they give you any lip, wear it when in public with them. ROFL

    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda6:01 PM

    I bet you can start a trend with the M shirts. All of us SuperMorons would buy one and tell all our friends and so on.

    No one here has addressed the cold sores... ask your doctor for Valtrex (stop laughing - we all know it's a kind of herpes!). As soon as you feel them coming on, you take a high dose twice, and they go away. It's a wonderful thing because they don't get big and ugly and no one ever knows.

    Btw, this was probably one of your funniest blogs ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim - I may have to make one of those shirts! Must be nice to be beyond this stage.

    Linda - so nice to know I have herpes... Thanks for saying the post was funny. Sean read it and didn't laugh at all. Guess you have to be a mom to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:50 PM

    Can I get one of the shirts too? My kids would tell you I need one. Although I don't have to wear it in public to embarass them. I am embarassing enough because I am friendly to strangers and laugh loudly!

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracey - I'm pretty sure simply breathing makes us an embarrassment to our tweens/teens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:34 PM

    I also wanted to mention a great book I am reading-Losing Control and Loving It! It is about parenting teens. I got it from the library.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!