Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Use it or lose it (and fans)

This will not come as a surprise to anyone: I am a fan of Amy Grant. Have been for 30 years. I started out with vinyl. When the cassette tape Walkman was all the rage I re-bought the albums in cassette form. Ditto for CDs. I have attended 36 concerts, been a fan through thick and thin and only waivered momentarily during the divorce.

I frequently check out her website; why, I’m not so sure. Because her official website is not very official. Blogs that are rarely updated, technical issues that prevent you from viewing her (very sporadic) tweets, a news section with the most recent update from April... In this world of instant everything if you’re going to have a presence on the web you need to actually, oh, I don’t know, update it.

My biggest beef with the site right now is about the tour page. At our small group get-together Tuesday night I learned that Amy Grant will be in Jackson, Michigan this January. Did I learn about the show from the website? Oh, no! I learned about it from my friend, Keith.

People. I should not learn about these things from Keith. I should learn about it when I check out the Tour section of the official Amy Grant website.

I think I’m done with that website and I’ll probably not even go to the show. Hrumph.

Of course, those tickets would be a great Christmas present…

(And on the way-off chance that AG’s manager Jennifer Cooke reads this – I would do a great job writing a blog for the website. You mentioned all the social media stuff was a lot of busyness that felt overwhelming – I’d be glad to take some of that off your plate.)


Screen shot at 12:20 am, Wednesday, August 5

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:07 PM

    They would be very well advised to have you "on board..."
    MG

    ReplyDelete
  2. MG - They really have no idea what a wealth of fan knowledge they have in me! Thirty years, folks. Thirty years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chef Cookaloni8:05 PM

    I bet you would pick something other than "diarrhea" for the color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chef - what am I supposed to say to that? If I say, "I totally agree! I'm sure they were going for earth tones but ended up with bowel eliminations," they'll never hire me. If I say, "Oh, it's beautiful!" I'm lying. Talk about a rock and a hard place...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chef - you make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda5:24 PM

    Did you get the job offer yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave - don't encourage him!

    Linda - not yet, but here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!