Monday, February 08, 2010

It's here! It's finally here!

Michael is addicted to the BBC show Top Gear. He watches clips of the show on YouTube. He buys episodes on iTunes and watches them over and over and over again. He regularly checks Comcast’s OnDemand BBC channel to see if any new episodes have been added (there haven’t been lately, much to his chagrin). And any time we’re in a bookstore he scours the magazine racks looking for the Top Gear magazine. Most bookstores don’t carry the magazine – why we’re really not sure, but usually Michael leaves the periodical section depressed.

But he won’t miss another issue because my parents gave him a subscription to the magazine as his Christmas present. And every day since Christmas Michael has excitedly run to the mailbox at the first sign of the blue and white mail truck. He has returned empty-handed after each trip. But his attitude's been so positive: “Mom, it’s coming from overseas. Of course it’s going to take a while.”

His patience was rewarded today. Following his routine check of the mail he came in the house walking on air. “It’s here! It’s here! It finally came!” And there it was: the February issue of Top Gear, wrapped in plastic, a thing of beauty. Michael was lost in its pages for the next several hours.

Thank goodness the school day was over.

My boys now receive six car-related magazines: Autoweek, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Ward’s Auto, Automobile and Top Gear. Amy gets Horse Illustrated and Rebecca gets Highlights. And Sean takes Pipe Organ Digest. I’m fairly certain our mailman thinks I live with several teenage boys, two young ladies and a 90 year old former church music director.


Here's a Top Gear clip with Michael's favorite Top Gear host, Jeremy Clarkson:

A

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:55 AM

    I could not stop laughing when I read Pipe Organ Digest!!!!!!! Oh, Christy. It could be worse. hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon - you are so right! He could get two pipe organ magazines...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Michael!! Glad it finally came, I hope it was all he was hoping for :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, you've made me laugh!

    I awarded you a Sunshine Award -- check it out at my blog http://thegiesbrechts.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunshine-all-around.html

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg - I knew you'd be so happy for him after our conversation about the magazine!

    Catherine! Thanks so much! I'm going to get right on spreading some bloggy sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, okay, but the pipe organ magazine was a freebie . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean - but we still get it! And why do we get a free organ magazine? Because you won the organ guild scholarship! (Even though I tease you about your hobby I'm very proud of you, honey.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gift that keeps on giving...to the donors!!!! How we loved the picture...and, your commentary!!!! The picture was worth...well not worth more than YOUR words!!!!...but still priceless!!!!
    Needless to say, we absolutely loved the entry!!!! And we love all of you "strange" Duffys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to hear Sean play a huge organ sometime, that would be fantastic.

    Per usual, though, you make me smile, Christy. Makes me want to read new blog posts every day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahahahahahaha. funny post. :) i hope you don't mind that i read and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elisheva - you should hear him play. He's so good!

    Stephanie - I love that you read and comment! I really appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!