Monday, May 03, 2010

Not bad at all

If I’d known turning 40 would be so fun I’d have done it years ago! Okay, probably not, because I’m still amazed that I’m actually 40 (each time I try to type 40 I hit 50 by mistake and that’s freaking me a out just a tad…). Seriously, it was one of the best birthdays I’ve ever had. And five years ago if you’d told me I’d be saying that I would have laughed at you - in-between fits of sobs and tears.

My 35th birthday occurred three weeks after we moved. I was not in a celebratory mood. All I did was cry those first few months. Daily. Sometimes hourly. My birthday was no exception. (It didn’t help that it snowed two days before, by the way.) I was certain I would never have anyone to celebrate special days with again – melodrama, perhaps, but that's how I felt. I was thankful for Sean and the kids who are more than wonderful, but I missed having friends around the corner. I don’t remember exactly what we did for that birthday, but I’m fairly certain it involved tissues. Lots of tissues for nose wiping and eye drying.

Fast-forward five years and the only tears I could have cried were tears of joy. I was mightily celebrated by many dear folks over the past two weeks, people I didn’t know five years ago but who now feel like life-long friends. In my wildest dreams I could not have imagined what God would provide: an amazing church family and many dear neighbors in addition to friends from Atlanta who stay in touch, including my Bible study buddies who are coming to visit me this weekend.

Two verses from Joel come to mind as I think about these past few years, “I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten... You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, who has dealt wondrously with you.” Joel 2:25-26. It seems to me that is exactly what’s happened in my world; 2005-2007 were locust food. But in the last three years restoration has come and in God’s perfect timing I am finding myself amazed at His provision of relationships I was sure I would never have again.

To my new friends, thank you for opening your hearts to this newcomer. To my Atlanta friends, you may not be near buy you’ll always be dear to me. I feel like a poster child for the Girl Scout song, “Make new friends, but keep the old; one is sliver and the other gold.”

And with that sappy ending the circle is complete: I have turned into my mother.  Which, I'm finding out, isn't all bad.



Birthday roses from Rebecca - she had the florist put in some bling to go with my "accessorize more" new year's resolution!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a wonderful day! Welcome to the club. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings to my Eldest daughter who cannot possible be ... uh...40!!!!
    Loved your blog entry recording God's exceedingly abundant work as He has shown Himself faithful to you! I rejoice in your birthday and God's kindness....but, most of all, YOU!!!
    By the way, the last line of the Blog...music to a mother's ears!!!...I think???
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fantastic!

    And I heartily agree with the "accessorize more" philosophy -- I've adopted it myself this year!

    Hugs,
    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you have a great 40th birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!