Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Final 5K training update

This morning I finished a 5K in 10:35. OK, fine, I was on the stationary bike with the cushy seat, but I like my bike time way better than my treadmill time.

The big race is this weekend. As I jogged on the treadmill all I could think was, “I am so glad the race will be over in three days.” Despite the fact that all my runner friends said I would, I still haven’t experienced a runner’s high. Well, unless you count when I eat an extra chocolate something which I rationalize is okay because I ran that morning. I do enjoy that.

Anyway, the race is, indeed, this weekend and I am thrilled that three of my girlfriends from Atlanta are coming up to see with their very own eyes what they thought they’d never see: me running. These three are triathletes and they are more than thrilled I’m giving this 5K a try.

Saturday’s weather is not looking pretty: high of 57 with a 40% chance of rain. My sweet Southern friends were a bit taken aback by the forecast. They’re already enjoying highs in the 80’s so going back to the 50’s will be a shock to their systems. And if 57 is the high, I wonder what it’s going to be like at race time? But the good news is we won’t be hot. I’m not sure if my Michigan friends will believe this, but I’d much rather be cold than hot. At least in the cold you can put on another sweater or crank up the electric blanket. There’s precious little you can do when it’s sweltering.

The kids asked if I’d continue running after the race. Honestly, I don’t know. I don’t detest it as much as I did three months ago – Amy was my treadmill buddy this morning and she was amazed I could go as long as I did. When we first started out I could barely jog for three minutes but now I’m up to 10 – 15 minutes. (I’d love to say, “without breaking a sweat,” but oh, honey, would that ever be a lie.) I prefer the bike (see first paragraph) so I may do that more than the treadmill. But I’m encouraged by the progress I’ve seen and there’s a little, tiny part of me that wonders if I could actually run for 20 full minutes…?

Dadgum, what has happened to me? I better get rid of that pesky little thought before my Kathy, Hope and Carolyn get here and want to go for a run just for fun.

3 comments:

  1. I am very proud of you for sticking with it and so happy you are seeing some good results! You will do great on Saturday friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girl! If you decide running isn't for you (I've tried it and I never had a runner's high, either), you are in good shape to take up something else now. Go for it! I discovered how much I love racquetball and I'm sticking with it -- and I am starting to see results.

    Wishing you the very best this weekend -- blue skies, a few more degrees of warmth, and a feeling of satisfaction when you cross the finish line!

    Hugs,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to read your race report! I hope the rain holds off for you. If it makes you feel better, I don't really like running either but it makes me feel like I'm accomplished something! Your runner's high will come after you finish that race, it'll be awesome and you'll want to do it again! I'm so proud of you for getting out there and doing it. YOU'RE GOING TO ROCK IT!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!