Monday, June 07, 2010

Put That Mask Back On, For Crying Out Loud!

Last night Sean and the kids finally got to enjoy my Christmas present to them – tickets to see the Phantom of the Opera. They’ve been looking forward to seeing the show since they pulled the tickets out of their stockings. Even though Sean and Michael had both seen the show they were more than anxious to see the chandelier fall again. Amy saw the movie, so she knew the storyline and was excited to see it on stage. Rebecca had heard some of the songs but that was the extent of her exposure.

As for me, I’ve seen the stage production and the movie. And now I’ve seen the stage show twice, which is two too many times…

Even though Phantom isn’t my favorite, I was excited to see them see the show. I knew Sean and Michael would love it and probably appreciate it even more the second time. Amy’s in love with all things theatrical, so I was eager for her to see the elaborate costuming and sets. And I was happy Rebecca could say she’d seen it with everyone else. She hates it when the four of us have done something that she hasn’t.

Sean, Michael and Amy’s reactions were what I’d imagined: they loved the show. Rebecca’s response, however, was different than I’d hoped: she was completely freaked out. From the chandelier’s first flash of light to the ending where the Phantom parades around sans mask, nasty face and crazy hair all out in the open for everyone to see, she was shocked. If we’d been in the balcony I think she’d have been fine. But we were in the 8th row, plenty close to see everything, including what looked like bloody scars criss-crossing the right side of the Phantom’s face after what’s-her-name rips off his mask.

(Okay, okay, I know her name is Christine. Who wouldn't after hearing Raoul sing it over and over and over.  And over.  Hey, Raoul - those vocal chords are for talking, too.  You don't have to sing everything.  Just saying...)

Rebecca spent nearly the entire performance grasping my arm and burying her face in my shoulder. The first half had moments that were enjoyable and didn’t seem scary at all but after the chandelier incident she didn’t take any chances – she held on tight. It took all of intermission for my fingers to feel the blood supply flowing again.

The second half was all scary to her and she was sure the minute she opened her eyes something dreadful would happen. By the end I wasn’t sure my right arm would ever regain circulation.

All the way home she kept saying, “Why did he have to look like that? He had a mask – he should have kept it on!”

“Best laid plans,” and “No good deed,” sayings fit in here, I believe.

When we got home she got herself a little snack and watched a few minutes of Anne of Green Gables. That seemed to take the edge off the Phantom’s scare factor. And thankfully she went right to bed and slept all night.

She’s already announced that Phantom is one musical she does not need to see again. Oh, baby, I am so with you on that.

10 comments:

  1. AHHHH! Not cool! Something is very WRONG with my computer! =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any character who wears a mask should keep it on -- even the good guys: Batman, Lone Ranger, Superman. They're all better with it on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine-it's not you, it's blogger! I've been commenting like 10 time on everyone's page today-grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments. And Christine, I wanted to make sure you knew Alyssa (MHWT) was right: Blogger's been giving lots of folks tons of trouble today. I've deleted a few of the extra posts - please do not feel bad about it. I had to have my mom in Georgia post my entry today! Blogger was really messed up!

    And Sean, your comment made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I know her name is Christine. Who wouldn't after hearing Raoul sing it over and over and over. And over. Hey, Raoul - those vocal chords are for talking, too. You don't have to sing everything. Just saying..."
    Agreed. I didn't see the stage performance but I watched the first half of the movie... I just get tired of hearing singing after a while, and want to hear a con-ver-sa-tion between the characters. But no. :)
    Poor Rebecca. :( Glad Anne of Green Gables cheered her up though - love that movie.

    And blogger needs help. I was going to try to say psyhciatric (haha sp?) help but then I asked my mom how to spell it, and she started freaking about about how saying that someone needed that kind of help was very mean, and then I tried to tell her it was about blogger, not a person, and she did not get the joke. "But Stephanie, if it's not a person they don't need ___ help."

    I finally gave up.

    Anyways. I'll end this mile-long comment here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh, see, I never got tired of the singing. However, I'm used to operas, operettas, and Les Miserable. Besides, Raoul was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good musical... I was raised on the classic American stage productions... My Dad later took us to the mega productions-- like Cats... I discovered Les Miserables and learned every word....

    So it was natural that I would see Phantom, too. And I did. Sometime a long time ago when it was on the tip of everyone's tongue.

    I didn't get it. The plot seemed lika a hot mess. All that rowing around in the underground lake? The whiny, whiny pretty girl. I was disappointed that the chandelier didn't take them both out. Robby hated it, too. We have a friend that is obsessed with it-- constantly hums the "Music of the Night"-- we mock him.

    So tell Rebecca I'm right there with her. But I'd go farther-- not only should he leave the mask on but maybe he should just stay in his little self-created Sea World.

    I'll take Anne Shirley Blythe any day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephanie - your comment made me laugh out loud! So glad Blogger fixed itself.

    Libby - I never get tired of singing when it's a song. But if you're just going to talk to one another (like "Good morning, Captain" from Titanic) then I'd really just prefer to hear it spoken. To each her own, however!

    Terri - I wish I'd seen Cats. Saw Les Mis in Atlanta with my dad. Like you, I figured I'd like Phantom. So glad I'm not alone! "...he should just stay in his little self-created Sea World." Perfect! This is why I read your blog! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!