Tuesday, September 14, 2010

One Track Mind

If you’ve been reading this for more than 24 hours you know my son is interested in cars. Interested is an understatement; obsessed is more apropos. And as he’s begun thinking about career choices he’s narrowed his selections down to two categories: cars, and more cars.

For as long as I can remember, when asked what he wants to do when he grows up, Michael has said, “Something with cars. Anything as long as I get to be around cars.”

Now, that led Sean to think Michael should follow in Daddy’s footsteps and go the engineering route. Sean did well (understatement of the century) in both math and science. Michael, on the other hand, isn’t a big fan of either. While he does well in math and science, they are not his passion, or even his strongest subjects.

What he’s really, really good at is talking about cars. So I suggested he start translating the talking into writing. “But Mom, how will I make a career out of that?” Excuse me? How many car magazines do we have around the house? I think we have subscriptions to seven – and there are even more than that on sale at every magazine stand in the country.

But the lights flickered on for him when he read an editorial in one of the bazillion car magazine we have around the house, an editorial talking about the interns employed by said car magazine. The editor was describing how the interns got there and what they were doing now that their internships were over. Both interns were now employed by car magazines, writing about cars.

All of a sudden, Mom’s idea wasn’t so dumb after all.

So I set up a Blogger page for him and he’s begun figuring out how to write about cars. He’s also throwing in some videos and pictures – he’s, “finding his voice,” as the pros would say.

His conversations about cars are more, well, conversational, and he’s working at translating that to his writing voice. But I’m awfully proud he’s giving it a go, and I thought some of y’all might like to take a look at One Track Mind.



The first post you'll see is a collection of videos - the second one down made Sean cry - but if you scroll down you'll see some posts he's written about different cars.  It’s pretty great! Not that I’m biased or anything…

So take a peek and maybe click the Followers link to show him you care.  (Heck, you can do that on my page, too!)

Forgive the proud mama post - but this was too fun not to share.


_____

3 comments:

  1. Good for him (and you) - blogs are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool and I love the title of his blog! Going to look at it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, y'all! I appreciate you supporting my little guy. Well, he's 6'2 so I guess he's not so little anymore, but you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!