Monday, December 20, 2010

We'll pass on Home Alone 2

Several weeks ago at our church’s small group Christmas party, a lively discussion broke out about Christmas movies.  I said my favorite was, Elf because it is the funniest Christmas movie ever.  It’s also one of the only Christmas movies I’ve seen (the other: It’s a Wonderful Life).

My friends couldn’t believe I hadn’t seen other Christmas movies.  The barrage of movie names began: What about A Christmas Story?  What about Home Alone?  What about Miracle on 34th Street?  What about Christmas Vacation?  No, no, no and no. The basic question was, “How in the world have you not seen these movies?”

Well, we didn’t watch a lot of television growing up.  The only Christmas movie I remember my parents talking about is It’s a Wonderful Life.  My Dad loves Jimmy Stewart, so we did see that one.  But as for all the other movies my friends mentioned I just hadn’t seen them.

After recounting this on my blog I was again reminded by my dear commenters that there are dozens of Christmas movies I need to watch.  One friend, Terri, gave me an extensive list of Christmas movies that I should see; I was pleased to note that of her list of 15 I’d seen three: ElfRudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and It’s a Wonderful Life.  I can now say I’ve seen four of the movies because last weekend Sean, the kids and I watched Home Alone.  And, as Terri requested, I’m here to report back.

I realize this will go against seemingly everyone’s opinion, but I don’t get why it’s such a treasured holiday classic.  Yes, Macaulay Culkin is a talented child actor.  The iconic scene where he slaps aftershave on his cheeks and gives his classic scream was one of my favorite parts of the movie.  The other part I couldn’t help but laugh at was when the spider gets dropped on Daniel Stern’s face and he screams like a little girl: 

  

But other than that, I just didn’t get it.

The McCallister family is awful! The opening scene where the family is gathering to eat pizza made me so nervous I could barely finish watching. Y’all, I know this is a movie, and without conflict we wouldn’t have much of a story, but did they have to be so nasty?  Sean enjoyed the side-story of the neighbor man who reunites with his son and family, but by the time that finally happened I was so sick of the movie I didn’t even care.  Remarkably, I was able to overlook Pepsi's sponsorship of the film, but the way the family treated each other was just too much for me.

Besides Daniel Stern's scream, my favorite parts were any scenes featuring John Candy. Love him.

All that to say I am thrilled the movie has brought such joy to so many of my friends.  I wish I could join your ranks and say I loved it, too, but I just can't. I am prepared for the comments telling me I'm crazy - maybe you can explain what I'm missing! 

So, one down, several more to go.  Up next: A Christmas Story.  Report forthcoming!

11 comments:

  1. I don't watch a lot of Christmas movies, either. But I do love (and own) "A Charlie Brown Christmas". Dennis enjoys "It's A Wonderful Life".

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I watched it, the movie had been shortened for television and significantly cut out a bunch of the family stuff - especially Buzz's part (whom to this day I despise). I still love the movie but the best parts are definitely Macauley, the older neighbor and the sheer awfulness of the pranks he played on the robbers (I still cringe when he steps on the ornaments, puts his hand on the doorknob, etc).

    Watch "White Christmas" next, it's a musical (hehe) and there's no terrible sub-plot - in fact, I think you'll like the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amity9:37 AM

    A Christmas Story and A Charlie Brown Christmas are my favorites. And what about The Grinch Who Stole Christmas? I love that there's something that you're behind on...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there like a faceted ornament on a perfect feather tree... we'll find you a movie you love yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Home Alone, I think it's because I'm amazed at how creative a kid can be. Of course, the movie came out when I was a kid so that's probably part of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Althea - surely I've seen the Charlie Brown Christmas! I know I've seen the part with Linus. Hope that counts!

    Elizabeth Joy - you're not going to believe this, but I saw White Christmas at the Wharton Center last Christmas! When the person who sings Count Your Blessings started singing, I said, "Hey, that's an Amy Grant song!" I had no idea she'd gotten it from WC. And there's your laugh for the day from your non-musical friend.

    Amity - I'm working hard to keep up with you but you're just so hip it's hard.

    Terri - thanks for the great suggestions! We're going to work on all of them. And when are we ever going to get together?!

    MHWTV - I totally agree that when you see it has a lot to do with how much you enjoy it. I fear I'm just too old to think it's funny - I kept thinking, "Why doesn't he just call the police?!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. A more recent one that I like is Family Man with Nicholas Cage

    Christmas in Connecticut is also a great classic if you like older movies

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tell me you've seen White Christmas and Christmas with the Kranks. Those are my two faves. Also obviously Charlie Brown Christmas is great, and Merry Madagascar is hilarious.
    I don't like Home Alone either. hmm. I wonder why it's such a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love "A Christmas Story" -- we watch it every year on Christmas Eve!

    Like you, I didn't like the family in Home Alone and have never cared to see the movie again (nor have I seen Part II).

    Another good Christmas movie is The Family Stone (came out just a few years ago).

    And White Christmas is an all-time classic!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:58 PM

    I think Home Alone might drive me a little crazy now, too, but I enjoyed it way back when.
    LOVE Elf, too, though!!
    I hope you enjoy A Christmas Story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I watch "Home Alone", I long for two scenes--when he meets Santa and when he looks out the widow at the end to see the neighbor hugging his granddaughter. The story of redemption happening next door makes the movie worth watching.

    I do encourage you to watch "Home Alone 2". It's even more special. Two turtle doves. Watch for them throughout.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!