Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Fake Holiday!

My husband is the luckiest man in the world today because, at my request, we do not “celebrate” Valentine’s Day. I’m not a fan of the made-up Hallmark holidays in general, but Valentine’s Day is the worst.  So, early on in our dating relationship, I made it clear February 14 was just an average, ordinary day, one to be marked like every other ordinary day on the calendar.

This scared the heck out of Sean. How could I, a girl, possibly mean I didn’t want to celebrate the day of love?  At first he was sure it was a set-up; he thought, “She’s only saying this so it will be a big surprise when I get her something!”  And he played that game for several years, not believing I really didn’t intend to mark 2/14 as anything other than a Monday. Or Tuesday. Or whatever day of the week it was.

But I was serious.  This is a stupid holiday that makes money for card companies and florists and chocolatiers.  And I don’t want any part of it.

I’m sure someone’s going to say this aversion goes back to days when I didn’t have a special Valentine or that I have some kind of deep, dark repressed memory of love lost. I don’t think so. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I’ve always thought the day was dumb. I do have a favorite Valentine’s memory, though. In 9th grade, the Student Council put on a Valentine’s Day dance and called it the VD Dance. They hung huge banners all around the lunchroom, announcing the VD DANCE!!! I thought it was so risqué! (Yes, I realize I was a tad naïve.) I bet it was aptly named for some. 
We're looking awfully Valentine-y!

Anyway, the kids think it's a fun day - Sean always leaves them each a small box of chocolates - so in an attempt to not be a complete Valentine Scrooge, when I realized that VD falls on Monday this year I thought I’d throw a little cookie decorating party for the math kids. Rebecca helped me make huge heart-shaped sugar cookies and I colored some frosting so when they get here this morning they can have a legitimate excuse for not doing schoolwork. 

I really enjoy having the kids here, and baking cookies for them and my own kids was a way I could be a bit in the pseudo-holiday spirit without having to be drenched in the fake love-fest that is Valentine’s Day. 

Maybe I need to work on my attitude before they get here…

Happy Valentine’s Day!


5 comments:

  1. It may be a "made-up" holiday and I'm not one for going all out BUT it's still fun! Admit it-you had fun decorating the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MHWTV - if it will make you happy I'll say I had fun... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy9:18 PM

    I'm with you, Christy. If he can't show me he loves me the rest of the year, don't try to make up for it on Valentine's Day!

    And I had to go dig out my AG 1974 CD today to hear Saved By Love after reading your last blog post about the concert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Somebody made ribbon chains!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:47 PM

    I've never been a big fan of Valentine's Day either - at least not big expensive celebrations. Hope your back gets well soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!