Thursday, March 03, 2011

Silver and Gold

I’ll get right to the point: three of my dearest friends are going to a women’s retreat this weekend and I’m not. I am not happy about it. Well, I’m happy for them. But I’m feeling pretty stinky for me.

Kathy, Hope, Carolyn and I met together for three years on Tuesday nights; we told each other nearly everything and we prayed for each other and our families.  The dirt I have on them could fill volumes. Of course, they have a bunch on me, too, so I’ll be keeping those stories to myself. (If only I could tell why Kathy’s husband, Daniel, loves for her to hang out with us…)  We'd still be meeting except for one little problem; they live in Atlanta and I don't.

I normally welcome the weekend, but I’ve been dreading this one. I know they’re going to have a great time together. I remember how much fun we had the last time we spent three days together – heck, just the drive was a blast - and I hate the thought of missing out. The horribly selfish part of me didn’t want them to go without me. Thankfully, I was able to keep that part at bay until now.

If I’ve learned one thing from this move, it’s that life goes on. I don’t know as much about their lives now as I did when we were meeting weekly. And they don’t know about mine. Well, Hope does, because she reads my blog, but the other two are technophobes – come to think of it, if I did tell why Kathy’s husband loves us she’d never know.  

Anyway, for some reason I was reading Ecclesiastes this week – I still don’t know how I got there. I’d been reading in Mark, but all of a sudden, Ecclesiastes 7 popped up on my iPhone ESV.  And I read, “Say not, ‘Why were the former days better than these?’ For it is not from wisdom that you ask this.”  The Lord, in his wisdom, didn’t show me that verse before this week. I couldn’t have handled it. I wouldn’t have believed it.

The reason I couldn’t make it to the retreat is because I’m so dang busy: I’m helping host a baby shower, we’re going to a friend’s retirement party, and I’m on a panel in the senior high Sunday School class. My days in the South with those dear friends were good. These days are good, too. Six years ago I thought I’d never say that again.

Dang, now I've got "Friends," playing in my mind. And the Girl Scout, "Make New Friends," song...

Hope, please tell Kathy and Carolyn that I'm going to miss y'all like crazy. Tell them I hope y’all have a wonderful weekend and I'll be praying for you all. Tell them I hope Kathy keeps her shirt on and I hope you don’t see any ducks trying to lay eggs. I hope you think of me once or twice. And I hope if y’all learn any new tips for the boudoir you’ll email me as soon as you get home. I'm sure Sean will be as thankful as Daniel.




(Side note - this was taped in Atlanta and I was there. Little Amy Grant fact for your day.)



(Believe it or not, this is the best version I could find on YouTube. Come on, Girl Scout troops everywhere - you can do better than this!)


Have a great weekend, sweet friends!





1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna take that to mean you haven't read Linda Dillow's book about the boudoir, then. Read it! Trust me, there are enough good ideas to go around. . .and some good 'tude adjustments, as well. (And sorry to say, I'm going to the retreat, too. Too bad I don't know your friends.)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!