Monday, March 07, 2011

What's a Punch Key?

When these Southerners first moved north, we often ran across things that were unique to the region and were new to us. Like snow – well, not snow itself, but the seemingly endless supply of it.  And the posts that stick out of the street corners so the snow trucks won’t hit the curb and the way people compulsively take their shoes off the second they darken your doorstep. And camping... Even though we’ve been here almost six years we still occasionally find things that are new to us. Like paczki.

Now, I’ve heard the term thrown around during March since we moved, and I’ve seen the boxes in grocery and convenience stores, but I never thought much about the pastry. However, Sean was shopping with me last Saturday (which is always an experience in expanding the grocery budget) and he thought we should pick up a box, “for the kids.” It’s amazing what we pick up, “for the kids” when Sean is shopping with me.

Anyway, we brought the box home and Sean decided to make it an educational experience prior to a culinary one. The story of the paczki is listed on the package and before the kids opened the box he wanted them to read the information. He is such a dear, isn’t he?  “Here, kids, yummy fried dough with apple filling! But before you dig in, let’s learn all about the paczki!”  There was some grumbling and Sean reconsidered; they read as they ate.  And here’s what we learned:

For hundreds of years in my beloved Poland, my countrymen have been celebrating the arrival of Lent by making Paczki (Punch-key). These delicious, jelly-filled dough balls are made from the finest ingredients and are covered with several types of sugar or glaze. For Fat Tuesday, our bakers make paczki because we are going to fast for 40 days and we want to use up the ingredients in our households… Please join me, a Polish-American leader, and your baker in re-living this old Polish custom by enjoying the best paczki.  Herbert A. Holinko

Y’all, Herb is proud of his paczki. 

For a little more info, here’s what that wealth of questionable knowledge, Wikipedia had to say: 

A pączek is a deep-fried piece of dough shaped into a flattened sphere and filled with…sweet filling. Pączki are usually covered with powdered sugar, icing or bits of dried orange zest…Although they look like bismarcks or jelly doughnuts, pączki are made from especially rich dough containing eggs, fats, sugar and sometimes milk…These pastries have become popular in the United States as a result of Polish immigrants and marketing by the bakery industry. They are particularly popular in areas where there is a large concentration of Polish immigrants. In the Boston area, Detroit area, Chicago and Northern Illinois, and Southeastern Wisconsin they can regularly be found in supermarkets.

After reading that list of cities, I don’t feel too badly about not hearing about the pastry before our move.

They were a hit with my crowd.  Not, “Oh my word, we have to get them again RIGHT NOW!” But certainly good enough to think about getting the first of next March.

Chalk up yet another cross-cultural experience for us!


Rebecca needed to see inside first

Voilà!

Not so wild about the filling...


17 comments:

  1. Looks like a jelly filled donut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MHWTV - That's what I thought, too, but apparently the dough is different. I didn't try one but I'm pretty sure it's close to a jelly doughnut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm a great-granddaughter of Polish immigrants and I had never heard of paczki until I moved to Lansing. Even then, I'm pretty sure they only started hitting the shelves about 10 years ago. I stay far away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David grew up in the Detroit area and knows them from childhood. Now that we've moved back up north, he is interested in making it part of our tradition. we'll see. might be buying some at kroger later...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, and he also pronounces it "poonch"-key (not sure if that is correct or not, but sounds kind of cute) maybe it should be paunch-key, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous5:44 PM

    I've never heard of them! Thanks for the lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amity - I bet your Polish great-grandparents aren't too happy with you...

    bensmom - definitely don't have them in Kroger in the South!

    Barbara - I'd never heard of them, either! Glad we both learned a little Polish pastry info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got some from Walmart. They were not bad, but not even close to those in Poland.
    And just to be clear, I was born in Poland, moved away 15 years ago so I do remember taste of real paczki.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:31 PM

    Bought them at Stop & Shop Glastonbury, CT--
    Disappointed--- will not buy them again

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aggi - what's the biggest difference in the American paczki and the Polish ones you remember?

    Anonymous - they're not on my grocery list any more, either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christy those in Poland are cripsy, more round and not that heavy.
    I remember those very long lines to get paczki on Fat Thursday in my city, but it was so worth it.
    My mum used to make faworki for Fat Thursday, sooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:08 PM

    Just one comment: It's Thursday!
    On Fat Thursday we eat millions of paczki ;-)

    http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/126520,Poland-celebrates-Fat-Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous - thanks for the link. It's interesting that the concept of our Fat Tuesday is celebrated on Thursday in Poland. And I have to say, the paczki on the Polish website look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would happily pay an extra $1/4 paczi if they stopped using palm oil.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just got a box of four (@ $4) at the local Giants. In fact, "paunch-key" is certainly a better approximation of the actual pronunciation. Unfortunately, the taste of this product does a terrible disservice to the delicious (although highly caloric) "pączki" that you can get in Poland. And what I see listed as ingredients makes me shiver: some 50+ components make this product sort of a Frankenstein, including such exotic as far Poland is concerned items like corn syrup, palm oil, soy flour, as well as several chemically sounded substances like glykol, mono and diglycerides, sodium stearoyl, lactylate, maltodextrin, guar gum, sodium benzoate, calcium sulfate, e.t.c. I ate one for sake of experiment, but the rest will end up in a trash can, I am afraid. Fortunately, next month I travel to Warsaw and will go for a real thing on Krakowskie Przedmieście.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!